Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dream is to go to Greece...but don't know where to start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...

This site was immensely helpful 2 yrs ago when hubby and I took our first trip to Italy...so thank you!

We now have the option of taking another trip, and my dream is Greece. Now bare in mind...I know NOTHING of this country..and have NO idea where to start?? I don't know the islands, and feel so overwhelmed even beginning my search..so I thought I'd try here!

What we like....
We would love something not too touristy, where we can find amazing natural foods, drinks, maybe some kind of cooking class/tour? We love architecture and art and anything historical...

Where do I begin? We're also thinking of some kind of cruise..maybe going to Turkey as well?

Our plan is to go mid Dec-Jan. I'm a nursing student, so time is limited...

If anyone could even help me have an idea of where to begin, that would be great!!

Thanks a lot!

Samantha
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM

If you look at the posts on this board for Greece, I think you'll find most people go to Greece during warm months. Certainly for the islands, December and January would not be the best time as most hotels and restaurants are closed. Even Athens has something of a winter. I'm not a cruise person, but you might want to see if there are any cruises stopping in Greece at that time of year--somehow I doubt it.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM

First buy two or three good tourist guides or go to a library.
G.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM

Crete. Crete. Crete.

One island, but big. Doesn't close for winter like some of the wee ones.

Has touristy bits and not touristy bits. Has good food and lots of local tavernas. Has cooking lcasses. Has tours. Has architecture- Chania has 4 types. Has history- Minoan, Greek, Mediaeval,and Modern.

see explorecrete.com
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM

For a winter trip to Greece, suggest you forget about the islands - after October many hotels, shops, and restaurants are closed, and locals will be going about their off-season business.

In contrast, the mainland will be buzzing. In Athens all the museums and historic sites are open, with restaurants and hotels offering normal service. Outside Athens are other interesting places to visit, including Delphi, Meteora, and the Peloponnese.

Go to the library or bookshop, find some guidebooks, and start your research. When you have some ideas, come back on Fodor's for detailed advice. You can also get lots of information on the internet, such as Matt Barrett's http://www.greektravel.com/ , and searches on Fodor's itself.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM

You say you know NOTHING of Greece -- and that must be the reason you propose a visit during the very worst time to experience its essence.

Yes you CAN go to Greece in midwinter (Athens & Crete perhaps) and see something of the ancient sites, and big-city doings, but you will miss the ESSENCE of Greece -- and perhaps therefore not be drawn to go back.

Greece is about the SUN and the LIGHT -- artists feel the LIGHT of Greece is different from elsewhere ... on the sand, on the dark blue sea and the mountains... it is about sailing from one island to the next ... the amazing sunsets from May to September ... the flowers everywhere. It is about essentially living outdoors ... 3 meals in the open air, late coffee or an ouzo under the stars.

In December and January, as in most other places, the Greeks enjoy their families, indoors, and "cocoon."

Sure, you can GO to Greece in Dec.- Jan. but it won't be the REAL Greece. Don't settle; wait just a bit, it's not as if you are 70 & this is your last chance. Go at the RIGHT time -- May, JUne, or September, even October and you'll experience the magic of greece. PLEASE don't ask us to help you craft a visit that doesn't do justice to Greece's essence.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM

Unless you're going for business reasons, December/January is the worst time possible to experience Greece, for all the reasons stated above!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM

Google Matt Barrett's website. He is Greek American and spends a great deal of time in Greece. This site will help you plan your entire trip and covers the issue of weather and when is the best time to go. If you come from cooler climates and don't expect warm/hot temperatures, I think you might be able to put together a fun trip to mainland Greece.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM

Well, the real Greeks are still there in December and January...

Perhaps I am biased because my first visit to Greece was in December (many years ago) and it was perfectly lovely. I needed a light sweater but the weather was mostly sunny and mild, very pleasant. I spent all my time in Athens and the Peloponessos.

If you want a beach vacation, maybe it's not the best time to go, but you can still enjoy the architecture, art and history just fine, along with lots of great food.

I probably would not try smaller islands, myself, partly because of the off season, and partly because I still have memories of a very unpleasant winter ferry crossing all those years ago.

But if December/January is when you can go, I think you can have a great trip.