Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Downtown Munich pickup for rental car (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/downtown-munich-pickup-for-rental-car-231490/)

Suzanne Jun 16th, 2002 12:28 PM

Downtown Munich pickup for rental car

We are saving over $100.00 by picking up our rental car at the downtown Munich location versus picking it up at the airport. We were told there is an express train from the airport to downtown. Does anyone know where the Hertz car rental location is in relation to the downtown train station? We have the address of the Hertz location, but at this point, that means nothing to us. <BR>Thanks.

Emily Jun 16th, 2002 01:00 PM

The train is not express...there are stops on the way into Munich but the trip is only about 30 minutes. Are you picking up the car and then staying in the city?? If so, it may be just as costly because of fees downtown for parking. Plus, you don't need a car to get around Munich. If you are not staying in the city - then definitely get the car at the airport. I don't remember where Hertz is in downtown Munich - sorry. Also, it's a hassle to shlep bags out of the train station.

Bob Brown Jun 16th, 2002 02:07 PM

There are 6 Hertz pickup locations in Munich other than at Franz Josef Strauss airport. Which one did you have in mind??<BR>Nope, not an express train. Just a standard S bahn from the airport into the city.<BR>If you are not driving out of the city that day, you will pay to park.<BR>We did last year because we wanted to leave first thing in the morning before traffic got thick. The cost was $15.00 overnight near the hotel.<BR>

Chris Jun 16th, 2002 07:07 PM

Just returned from Munich yesterday. We<BR>picked up a car in southern France and<BR>returned it to the main rail station,theHauptbahnhof, in<BR>downtown Munich. I would not come to<BR>the center of town just to pick up the car.If you will be staying in the downtown area ,you will not need a car.<BR>The Hertz Office is located on the second floor of the train station.But<BR>the cars are kept in the bottom floor<BR>of a parking garage for a hotel about<BR>two blocks away.

kevin Jun 16th, 2002 09:49 PM

The downtown location is the train station. It is very close (couple of blocks from the city center). I assume you are picking it up to drive away from Munich (the other postings are correct, don't drive in Munich, the U and S bahns are superior and easy to use. The only area I would drive to in the greater Munich area is Dachau. It is not easy to get to by U/S bahn - a lot of connections and waiting(or by car for that matter). Get good directions if you drive. It is not well marked. <BR>And you are right, it is cheaper pick up cars away from the airports if you have limited luggage.

John Jun 17th, 2002 05:23 AM

Suzanne:<BR><BR>I will tell you a quick story: I dragged my wife and luggage on the train and thru the streets of Munich to get a downtown car pick-up! I was told by a seasoned traveler that if you rent the "basic car" downtown (lowest $ and smallest) that you will automatically be upgraded to a nice BMW 318I. Reason being is that businessmen only rent downtown and the stock is geared to the better cars!. WRONG! I went to the hassle for a "GOLF" that looked like it just came back from East Germany! Luckly, the Frau at the desk gave me an upgrade after my wife told her about her family in Innsbruck that we would ber visiting. So, I guess if $100 is worth it to you than go ahead, I have always rented at the AP since that experience. Oh yes, you asked where the car rental place was? I only remember that it was about 5 blocks from the train station.<BR>JOHN

Suzanne Jun 17th, 2002 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info. We are not staying in Munich and do have limited luggage, so I think we'll go ahead and rent dt. I'd rather spend the $100.00 on FUN things.<BR>Thanks, Kevin for the info. on Dachau. We are planning to visit on the end of our trip and appreciate the advice.<BR>Suzanne