Down to details - questions about Italy trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if some of these are stupid questions. Just trying to figure out a few things. My daughters, ages 21 and 18 and I will be travelling in late May and early June - a girl trip!! We have 14 days on the ground. We fly into Rome and out of Venice and the itinerary is 4 nights Rome, 3 nights Manarola, 4 nights Florence, and 3 nights Venice. We have accomodations booked and except for Venice will be staying in apartments. In Venice we are in a B&B.

Here goes:

1. We are flying KLM and therefore transfer in Amsterdam before going to Rome. Can you tell me how customs will work in general, and specifically do we check the baggage all the way to Rome from our origination city or only check to Amsterdam?

If we go through customs in Amsterdam then there is nothing to do in Rome, correct?

Also we have 1 hour 25 minutes in Amsterdam. Seemed a little short to me, but I purchased the tickets directly from KLM so I guess they know what they are doing?

2. We will be using trains to go from place to place. I have been poring over the trenitalia site. It appears that I can save money by purchasing tickets in advance. Particularly on the Rome to La Spezia and Florence to Venice routes. So, if we purchase the advance ticket to La Spezia it would seem that we can easily purchase a ticket to Manarola upon our arrival at La Spezia station. Is this accurate?

3. We are considering stopping in Pisa on our way from Cinque Terre to Florence. The girls want to see the Tower and it makes logistical sense to me. Is there anything I should consider about why this might not be a good idea?

I understand that there is a place to store baggage at the Pisa station? This does mean larger luggage items and not just lockers for backpacks, etc. correct? Would you be comfortable leaving your luggage there?

The trains from Pisa to Florence seem to run often. Will we be able to see what we want to see in Pisa and then easily head back to the station and be able to purchase a ticket to go on to Florence?

OK, I'll stop there. Just the little things that I don't know and can't seem to find out that drive me a bit nuts when planning.

Thank you!
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM

I can answer some of your questions.

1. You check your bags all the way to Rome. You'll go through a passport check in Amsterdam before boarding your next flight. I've done a transfer in much less time in Amsterdam, so unless your originating flight is really late you should be ok.

2. You can definitely save money by purchasing your train tickets in advance, and there are other posters here who are much more experienced in that than I am who should answer your specific questions.

3. It's very easy to get from Pisa to Florence by train. It's only about an hour, and I'd definitely recommend the trip. I did it as a day-trip from Florence. But I don't know anything about luggage storage.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
So, if we purchase the advance ticket to La Spezia it would seem that we can easily purchase a ticket to Manarola upon our arrival at La Spezia station. Is this accurate? >>

where you are using the standard "regionale" trains, you just turn up and buy your ticket - there's no advantage in pre-booking, even if you can.

ref Pisa station, there are supposed to be left luggage lockers at Pisa Centrale, but the nearest station is Pisa San Rossore. as there are 3 of you, it might just be easier to leave your luggage at Pisa Centrale and get a cab to the Tower. if you want to climb it, you can make your reservations here:

www.opapisa.it

you can get your tickets to Florence at Pisa very easily though trains tend to get quite full as people are going to Florence from Pisa Airport.

don't forget to validate your tickets before you get on the train.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Do not confuse Immigration (passport control of people) with Customs (luggage). You will do the former when you first enter Schengen - Amsterdam - before your ongoing flight. Your luggage should be checked all the way through - and when you arrive in rome it will be on a domestic flight - so just pick it up and walk out
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Doug - thank you for the information!

Ann - thank you so much for the information and the link. We will definitely want to climb the tower. Yes, if Pisa Centrale is where the left luggage lockers are then we will want to stop there. Sounds like it will be fairly easy to travel on to Florence after an intermediate stop in Pisa.

nytraveler - Yes, I was confused about that and did not realize the difference. Got it now.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lots of people are (confused by that). If you think of it as Immigration = your person & Customs = your possessions, it's easier to keep straight.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM

When we stopped at Pisa enroute to the Cinque Terra, there was a luggage check office. No need to try & squish lrg bags into a locker.

We walked to the Field of Miracles. Took about 20 min..

Surprisingly, we enjoyed the beautiful duomo more than the tower. It was not open to climb in 2000, still under restoration.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need timed reservations to climb the Tower unless you want to risk arriving and having to wait for open slots. Only a certain number of people are allowed to climb at one time. If you take any bags/backpacks with you to the Tower, you'll have to check them before climbing. This can take time, so arrive early for your reservation.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Your bags will be checked all the way through, but it can be a long trek to your connecting flight. For some connecting flights (KLM Cityhopper and some regional planes) you might have a bus connection to your gate. I've had transfers take over an hour. There can also be backups at passport control. YMMV.

If you have time to kill in AMS, visit the Champagne bar Bubbles.

>>>If we go through customs in Amsterdam then there is nothing to do in Rome, correct?<<<

You will show your passport in Rome.

>>>Particularly on the Rome to La Spezia <<<

I would not book this in advance if it's for arrival day. I would not book any R tickets in advance as they have more restrictions. If it's an AV or IC train, then you can get discounts booking in advance.

>>>>ref Pisa station, there are supposed to be left luggage lockers at Pisa Centrale<<<

No lockers. There is a left luggage room where you can check your luggage (unless there have been recent changes). You will need to show your passport most likely. Italian trains stations (certain larger stations) have luggage rooms, not lockers. While the hours may vary a bit depending on station, the rates are the same. This is the info for Florence (Pisa's hours aren't listed and may be shorter).

Opening Hours
7/7 days
06.00 - 23.00
Charges
5,00 € the first 5 hours
0,70 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour
0,30 € /hour from 13th hour on

Manarola/Pisa and Pisa/Florence will all be R trains. Don't buy in advance (more restrictive). No discounts, no reserved seating, can't sell out.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

suze - thank you, that helps. And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one confused by that distinction.

Dayle - that's great to know that it is a room where the luggage is stored.

Jean - we will definitely pre-book and arrive early. Thanks.

kybourbon - I appreciate the great info. Wow, sounds like we could be cutting it close in Amsterdam. I'm hoping we won't have time to check out Champagne bar bubbles, but if we miss our connection I'm sure we will go there. The Rome to La Spezia is not the day of arrival. We spend four nights in Rome before going on. Also because we are three women carting luggage (we do plan to pack lightly) I was hoping to get one of the few reservations that doesn't require us to change trains. I understand about the R trains. Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:25 AM

You got good info above re immigration/passport control and customs. And you didn't ask for this advice but I'm going to give it anyway. Consider trying not to bring a large suitcase that you'll need to check. There are many reasons to pack light and the questions you asked about luggage are the least important of the reasons.

Google packing light and you get tons of hits. A minority of people are determined to take everything they could possible need on a trip, but the vast maority agree it’s much better to pack light. All these sites give reasons why and ways to do it. Two of the best are:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm
http://www.onebag.com/

Why travel light
1) On the plane you don’t have to check a bag
a) they can’t lose your stuff
b) you don’t have to stand in line to check it, and wait around for it when you arrive
c) you save money on checked bag fees

2) Makes train travel much easier
a) there are often several steps up through a narrow door into train cars, very difficult with big bags
b) you can keep a carry on size bag at your seat (by your legs, or between your seat and the one behind) so you don’t have to leave it at the end of the car where you can’t watch it (risk of someone stealing it)
c) train connections are often fairly short and it’s easier to run from one platform to the next without big bags

3) You can use public transportation to get to your hotels rather than taxis
a) saves money
b) is often faster (taxis get stuck in traffic, local trains, metros, etc don’t)
c) even if you do take a taxi, many old city centers are pedestrian only so your taxi will only get you so close, you may need to walk at least some distance to your hotel.

4) Many European hotels (and apartments) don’t have lifts, or when they do they are tiny and slow.

Re stopping in Pisa. I would get off at the main station as that's the one where you can store your bags, also the one where the most trains come in /leave from. It's only a 20-30 minute walk to the Duomo/Tower and it's pleasant. But also consider that Pisa is an easy day trip from Florence (easily combined with Lucca) so if you don't want to leave your luggage you could go straight to Florence and on one of the other days just do a day trip (or half day trip).
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 09:05 AM

>>>Also because we are three women carting luggage (we do plan to pack lightly) I was hoping to get one of the few reservations that doesn't require us to change trains.<<<

Good plan. I would buy those in advance as it seems to be an AV train. 2nd class on these trains look like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg

You can stick your luggage behind your seat if you lay it flat it on the floor (will hold a 24-25" width about 12" thick or you can slide a 30" duffel in there. There's also space overhead and luggage rack at the end of the car. Best to pack light and use smaller cases. Make sure you select your seats on the fast trains. The system automatically defaults to auto assignment. Be sure to click "choose seats". Select ones with a table to share designated by an oblong (probably gray on the chart). Some seats don't have tables and I find the ones with tables more comfortable.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

isabel - thank you so much. That was a great post. We were already planning to pack light and I was planning to only take a carry on. However, my daughters will be harder to convince. I'll show them your post and the links!

kybourbon - thanks again! It is helping me greatly to get a feel for what train travel is going to be like. For some reason this was the area of the trip that was giving me the most anxiety - getting on the right trains, making connections, lifting bags on and off, etc. I really appreciate your information and am feeling much more prepared.

Oh, and I did get the train tickets from Rome to La Spezia - no changes. Also purchased the tickets from Florence to Venice. All the others will be purchased at the time of use.

The trenitalia site was easy. I was concerned because I had heard/read horror stories about it.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:43 AM

>>>lifting bags on and off, etc<<<

The steps are steep and if you are getting off with a heavier bag in front of you, the weight can pull you forward down the steps.

The good thing about the faster trains is they are in the stations 10-15 minutes so you have time to board or get off. The slow R trains may only be scheduled to stop for 1 minute so you have to know when your stop is coming and be at the door with your luggage unless it's a station like Florence where the trains pull in and have to back out. The stop would be a few more minutes.