Notices

Douro Valley Questions

Sep 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Douro Valley Questions

We leave next week for a trip to Portugal. We plan to sightsee in the Douro Valley for two full days -- arriving on Sunday evening and departing on Wednesday morning. We will be traveling by car and, as of now, have reservations at the Hotel Régua Douro in Peso da Régua and Hotel Folgosa Douro in the village of Folgosa. We plan to spend one day touring in the valley and visiting wineries and the other in Porto. While we do want to learn more about port, we are equally interested in wineries that make some of Portugal's great reds.

I would greatly appreciate thoughts on the two hotel options. Also suggestions for an itinerary for our day in the valley, including suggestions for wineries; "must sees" for Porto, since we only have one day; and suggested restaurants in the valley and in Porto.

Many thanks.
Sep 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Rather than just repeat myself, I'll post a link that describes a couple of short trips I've taken to the Douro. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-the-douro.cfm There are some suggestions for places to visit and where to stay.

In terms of your specific questions, I see that the two hotels are about 8 miles apart from each other. I don't know either of them, but I think I've had coffee on the terrace of the one in Folgosa. If it were me, I'd make sure to spend at least one night with a river view from up high. Both Regua and Folgosa are on the river level. I've stayed in three different places that meet that description -- the pousada in Mesao Frio (very nice building and location), Casa de Canilhas about 1-2 kms away which I prefer to the pousada, and the Casa do Casal dos Loivos (a village way up top above Pinhao, the place has incredible views, terrible food, aging bathrooms and beds, and nice people).

I don't think Regua is a particularly pretty or interesting town, but there is a lot of port-related stuff going on!

and p.s. I may be missing something but on re-reading your post, am I right to think that you are going to visit Porto as a day trip from one of these places? That seems unnecessarily complicated to me.
Sep 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM

I guess the Hotel Régua Douro is fine, but we prefer the Quinta do Vallado, just outside of Régua, and the Quinta do Pégo, which has one of the best locations in the area (www.quintadopego.com).

There is also SeMarkinas (www.dourovillarental.com), which sits up above the Quinta do Pégo, and Quinta Nova, on the other side of the river (www.quintanova.com). Another favorite of our is Casa de Gouvâes (www.casadegouvaes.com).

Search this Thread