Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Doubts about Cappadocia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/doubts-about-cappadocia-947079/)

janaphoto Aug 17th, 2012 12:55 PM

Doubts about Cappadocia

My husband and I are spending three full days in Cappadocia at the beginning of October.
We have decided not to drive there, so renting a car is not an option, neither joining a tour. Public transportation would be too tiring for us.

I've read much about the area, including all that has been posted on this forum, so we have a clear idea of where we'd like to go. Besides, we don't have any intention of buying anything.

We need help deciding between asking for a car with a driver when we get to the hotel or risking calling a taxi in the city (Goreme) , or contacting an agency for private tours before arriving. I'm afraid the latter option is the most expensive.
What do you recommend?

adrienne Aug 17th, 2012 02:14 PM

I would book a car and driver before you arrive. What if one is not available when you get there?

When you referred to Goreme as a city I thought I must have missed something when I was there so I looked up the population. It's 2,500. Small town is how I would describe it.

NeoPatrick Aug 17th, 2012 02:19 PM

Is this one of those threads where we aren't supposed to say things like "rethink driving"? I know you said you don't want to, but all the driving we did in Turkey was some of the easiest driving we've done in any country. Piece of cake and made it all so easy.

propertravel Aug 21st, 2012 07:12 AM

Looks like car & driver is a good option for you but self drive is also possible and easy. Getting a private guide & driver is a good option if budget allows however regular tours are also available. Touring around with public transportation would be wasting your precious time.
Either case, I am sure you will enjoy Cappadocia,
Regards,
Murat

bardo1 Aug 21st, 2012 07:17 AM

Driving IS easy there - very little traffic and good roads. That said, a car and driver is not that much. Our hotel arranged one for us - it was about $60USD for a full day.

bardo1 Aug 21st, 2012 07:19 AM

Should add our driver was not a tour guide - a private "guide" would probably cost considerably more.

NeoPatrick Aug 21st, 2012 07:31 AM

We hired individual guides as some sites -- I was under the impression that some places you MUST do that, even if you have your own "guide"/driver. So just hiring a driver with car would probably be a good option.

Davero Aug 22nd, 2012 05:04 PM

We used [email protected] as a guide. 4 people in a van with a driver (us and two women from Toronto) A super guide with many connections to see sights ahead of tours, good meals, etc. and not expensive. The only disadvantage is we visited a place that tried to sell us carpets but that is the case everywhere in Turkey.

NeoPatrick Aug 23rd, 2012 04:40 AM

Yes, if you can hire any guide in Turkey who doesn't just happen to have a brother/friend/uncle/son in the carpet business and he won't just happen to take you there -- then I think you will have accomplished the near impossible.

adrienne Aug 23rd, 2012 04:54 AM

I was on a tour in Turkey and I learned at the first shopping stop that those places all have tea rooms at the end. I would bring a book and ask for the exit and sit in the garden, sip my apple tea, and relax.