Double Decker or Duck Tour/London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family ( 2 adults and 2 girls ages 8 & 13) will be visiting London this July. Thinking of taking a tour of the city and am considering a "Duck Tour" that will provide some time around town and some along the Thames. I'm thinking though that we might be missing out on a popular favorite - the "Double-Decker" Tour bus. Has anyone taken a "Duck Tour"? Any opinion of this type of tour vs. the "Double-Decker"? Thanks for any feedback.......
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM

The main draw of the Duck Tour is the opportunity to drive around some of central London and then "drive" into the river in the same amphibious vehicle. You do not see nearly as much of the city as you do on the double decker tours.

If you have time for both it would be great fun, but if your time in London is limited the bus tour would probably be better because it takes you all over London.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Janis: I have come to see, over the months, that you are always there, providing help and input to so many. You were a help to me early on in my planning and provided the catalyst for me to trim down a "way-too-aggressive" itinerary.
I'm sure I speak for many when I say thank you.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM

Here's another vote for the double decker bus.
Duck tours are offered so many places -- even here in Austin, TX; but riding a double decker bus is unique to London!
Annette
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM

It's true that there are "duck tours" is many cities ( howmany of thoes vehicles DID they make?) but there are double-decker bus tours in other cities, too, including New York, Madrid, and Mexico City..
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

So it really is true "you learn something everyday." Thanks for the correction, anon.
Annette
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:57 PM

Note quite, Annette! The town of Davis, CA boasts a fleet of London double-decker buses as part of the public transport system.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
vcl

Youre choice may depend on how long you will be in London. If time is tight, I'd recommend the "duck tour." You don't get to see quite as much of the city, but you do get a ride on the Thames which is great fun and is sure to please your girls.
If you have more leisure; the bus tour (be sure to ride upstairs, from the lower level you don't really see all that much) and a separate Thames cruise to Greenwich or Kew, will show you a great deal more.
We've done both and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Have a great trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:45 PM

Returned last night from London and have to say that we loved the double decker bus ride even in very chilly February! We did the bus hopped off 3/4 way through the ride... jumped on the Thames river boat ride, got off that grabbed a great fish and chip meal and then finished the bus tour/ride in the bottom the the bus (just too cold) back to the hotel. My 11 and 9 year old boys thought it was Great!! Many photo shots and you get a quick bearing of how London is laid out and what you what to see more of! I will post much more when I recover a bit... my eyes are crossing now from exhaustion!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I did a duck tour in Branson. It was a hoot!

If you are looking for a fun time for the adults and girls, I think it is a good choice.

Keith
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone thus far. I'll have to report back as to which way we ended up going......Fortunately, still ahve some time to think about it