Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Double Decker Bus in London - did prices go up?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:11 PM
Anna

I've noticed people have said the prices for the hop off/ hop on bus is about 12 dollars, but when I went to the bigbus.com site, it mentioned the tickets are 14 pounds - is it normally this high?

Also, I noticed their were three different tours - which one is the best and can you hop on another tour along the way?

After you hop off the bus, how long does it take for another bus to come around? I always think of the red double decker buses, but the bus I found on the website was cream/burgandy colored - are these two different tour companies?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:17 PM
Monica Richards

We were in London in January, and did the hop on hop off tour. There are two companies, the Big Bus and the Original Tour. I think the Big bus is red and the original is tan. We did the big bus tour. You can look on their maps and decide which sites to see and that's the tour you get on. You can change buses midway if you want. They come frequently enough that you never feel like you're waiting for them.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:29 PM
janis

A dirty little secret - both bus tours will bargain with you. At many of the major stops -- Victoria Station, Trafalgar Square, Baker Street, etc. there are agressive ticket sellers for both companies. They will compete with each other to get you to buy THIER ticket. So last year both tours were generally around 10GBP but you could actually pay as little as 7GBP. I think the "list" price this year is up to 12GBP or more. But hold out for less - especially if the buses are not running full.

I usually take first timers on one of the tours (Big Red is my preference but they are pretyy comparable) - and have only paid full price once in the last 6 trips.

This only works when you buy from the sellers at the bus stops - not when you buy on board.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:32 PM
janis

I for got to add - the frequency depends on a lot of factors - day of the week, weather, crowds, etc. They more folks out and about the more buses they put on. Sometimes they come one after the other very quickly - at other times you might have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for the next bus.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
Alisa

I also recommend the bus tour. I was in London this past January. Did the bus tour first thing after getting to the hotel and changing. The tour helps to get your bearings and you'll get to see everything at least once!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:24 PM
toppie

ttt

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Bill

I've seen the same thing with the price competition. I have taken both and prefer Big Bus over the others. The ones with the live tour guides are SO much better than the recordings.

Bill

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Maira

The Big Bus tour has three routes; red, green, and blue. When you pay one price you have access to all three of them for a 24-hr period. All you need to do is plan your sightseeing and the driver/tour guides will tell you where to hop-in/hop-off for the sights you want to see and the best order, or just stay in the bus the whole time and enjoy the sights. The guides were fabulous. I absolutely loved it; did one route one afternoon and went on to the second route the next morning, then hopped off at the British Museum and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon. I would strongly recommend that this be the first sightseeing activity you do when arriving in London. Whether 12 or 14 pounds should not be a deal breaker.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Ellen

Do I understand corectly, that the Big Bus tour has live guides, and the other (Original?) has recorded? Certainly, live would be preferable for English-speakers!

Within the allotted 24 hours, can you do the same route more than once? For example, if you wanted to go around once without getting off on the first (jet-lagged) day just to see things, but then wanted to re-do part of that same-color route the next morning in order to get somewhere?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Maira

Ellen, my experience with the Big Bus is that you can stay in the bus, do the routes as often as you want to. If you don't want to walk around, there is nobody keeping tabs.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Ellen

Sorry to be so dense, let me rephrase the question: Does the ticket entitle you to ride as much as you want in those 24 hours (sort of like a tube ticket), or just once around each route (if someone's "keeping tabs", not sure what you mean by that)?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Maira

Ellen, you can stay and ride the bus for as long as you want to during the bus operating hours. There is nobody mnaintaining a record or keeping track of how times a particular customer has done a particular circuit/route. Enjoy London.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
janis

Ellen - it isn't "A" bus tour. On a busy summer afternoon each company will have 20 or more buses running the route at any given time. There do not (could not) keep track of people getting on/off. As long as you have a ticket you can ride as long and as often as you want.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Ellen

Thanks for the explanations. I guess I really needed convincing that it wouldn't be like the trolley that we once took in Washington DC. It was hop-on-hop -off, but they punched the tickets each time you got on and once around was all they permitted!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Anna

Just a quick question - I noticed the Big Bus tours have three seperate tours that focus on differnt parts of London... is their just one tour that takes you all over London?

Also, their website mentioned being allowed a free ride on their boat tour with a purchase of a ticket - did anyone go on this boat tour, and if so, how was it?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Anna

Topping

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Pauline

Anna,

I used the big bus boat ride, back in 2000, to get from the Tower of London back to Westminster. It was relaxing and a slightly different view of some places. I enjoyed it.