Old Oct 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorsoduro area good in Venice?

How is the Dosuduro area to stay in?

Here is the location
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...to,+Italy&z=16

I read that:
"If you decide to rent an apartment in Dorsoduro, I recommend you only do so if it is south of Campo Santa Margherita; closer to Piazzale Roma, much of the sestiere's charm is lost. You'll find everything you want or need for your apartment around Campo Santa Margherita"
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Perfect.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Looks fine to me.

Have you dragged the little "street view person" symbol onto the map? Since Google can't send their camera-topped car around Venice, they have instead placed a bazillion photos, it gives you a good idea of the place. Move the little symbol around, and watch the neighborhood go by... There is one that shows a nameless restaurant with awning and outdoor seating, could be adjacent to the point you're marking on your map. Another from just a bit further up, showing a canal in pale winter sun - it's the real Venice for sure.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM

I would see that area as a bit out of the way - I'd try and go a bit further east.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Well first of all - the location you gave IS close Campo Santa Margherita and it IS south of it (well, SW). I've walked through that area - very un-touristy but still close enough to everything by vaporetto or walking.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM

I prefer to be closer to the Grand Canal side of Dorsoduro....easier to jump on the vaporetto.
My favorite sestiere to stay? San Polo near San Toma vaporetto stop....just my preference.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Hello? That's at Anzolo Rafaele - that's what you're calling "perfect" or "close to S. Margherita"?? An extremely nice neighbourhood, yes, but as Peter and Bailey said (more politely than I'm going to say it): that's at the back of beyond, way too distant from everything for a tourist (too distant from everything but S. Sebastiano and S. Nicolò dei Mendicoli, to put it more precisely - those two churches being among the most outlying sights of Venice center, so outlying that most tourists never make it there).
The whole concept of "in which sestiere should we stay" is mistaken, btw. Each sestiere is so varied in itself that it always depends on the precise address. Dorsoduro can be wonderful (also north of S. Margherita, of course - where's that strangely opinionated quotation from?), but also as impractical as the location the OP was asking about; S. Polo is great around S. Tomà, as Bailey said, or can be extremely unsightly (behind S. Rocco) or overcrowded (around S. Giacometo - S. Giovanni Elemosinario); and so on. S. Marco, which many people think is overcrowded, can be perfectly tranquil if you just know where to stay exactly, and more relaxing than S. Croce or Cannaregio if you don't.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:39 AM

I love Dorsoduro as a place to stay but your location looks awfully close to the more shipping/vehicular area and far from most places you will want to visit. As others have said, further east is better and can still be quiet enough.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Ditto Tarquin.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Still, given the trouble kittycatangel has had finding appropriate places to stay.... After all, Venice is not all that big. Look into the vaporetto to/from the Zattere as a quick way of getting around.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Just got back from Venice and stayed in this same area. We loved being away from the crowds near St. Mark's and staying in this quiet lovely residential area. Go for it!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM

We stayed in the Dorsoduro well to the southeast of your prospective site, around Zattere, and loved the quiet and proximity to San Marco and surroundings w/o the hustle/bustle. The island is small enough to walk with ease.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Once more: that's close to Anzolo Rafaele, so the vaporetto stop is not Zattere, but S. Basilio. Not very practicable, thus.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM

If you like walking then the OP's proposed location is not a problem. What's a few minutes and a few steps between friends, when you're guaranteed to be precisely where not all the tourists are traipsing about?
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Well, personally, I prefer being in a central location without tourists. As I said above, if you know the city (or know whom to ask), that's not a problem at all. A few steps from St. Mark's Square or from Rialto or from the Frari Church, and yet without any trapsing tourists.