Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dorset Square Hotel in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dorset-square-hotel-in-london-60939/)

Jodi Jan 26th, 2000 03:03 PM

Dorset Square Hotel in London?

My husband and I are going to Europe for the first time in May. We are planning a week in London as well as a week in Paris. We have made a reservation at the Dorset Square Hotel in London. Has anyone ever stayed there? We were looking for a smaller hotel with some character, not a cookie cutter type and this seemed to fit the bill. Just looking for some feedback? Thanks. <BR>-Jodi <BR>

HENRY Jan 27th, 2000 07:24 AM

Jodi,My wife and I stayed there a few years ago.Very nice hotel,though the room was a bit small.Staff was very helpful and friendly.Loacation was very good.Be sure to get a room on the upper floors.Enjoy.

Jose Jan 27th, 2000 09:38 AM

Dear Jodi: <BR> <BR>Me and my wife stayed a year ago in Dorset Square Hotel, the hotel is nice very small rooms very nice bathrooms but I think location it's not so good,I wouldn't go back to that Hotel. I used to live in London and I prefer other areas. I'll advice Flemings Hotel or Green Park Hotel in Mayfair (best area in London) and I think price it's about the same or maybe less.

julie Jan 27th, 2000 06:03 PM

Okay, here's the thing...you have to decide which is most important..seeing the sights and convenience to them, or a good hotel. Our experience is, the closer you are to the heart of London, the more you will pay for less, and London hotels, are on the whole, small and not what we are used to. But for us, being close in, in Soho, for example, is worth putting up with a little smaller and less glitzy place. One of our favorites is the "Tavistock" which is with in walking distance to all the theaters, Picadilly, the central tube lines, and all the shows, museums, etc., e.t.c, what you came to London for. If you want better, go further out, but be prepared to spend time travelling (by taxi or tube) to and fro. Taxi's are expensive at rush hour, and the tube is crowded (all the time) but the tube is very convenient and you can get all over the city it the time it takes to go 6 blocks in some cities. Take time to study the map of London and be prepared. Also, there are lots of great restaurants that are very small, ethnic, and interesting in Soho, my favorite part of London, and we have been there a great deal, more than twice a year for 20 years. (p.s., if you want an experience go to the John Somes museum near the Legal district. We stumbed upon it while out walking last visit and had a wonderful timeO).

Deena Jan 29th, 2000 04:05 PM

Jodi, we stayed at the Dorset Square several years ago and loved it. We had a lovely (small) 'luxury' room with a garden view. I was a little dismayed when I saw how small the room was but ended up really enjoying it. The bed linen was luxurious and the bathrooms were heavenly. Every night, the turn down service would leave french bottled water on the bed stands. The staff was very nice. We wanted to see a show and asked the woman at the front desk where we could get tickets. She asked me to give her a list of the shows I'd like to see and she'd do her best. We came back after dinner and had two tickets (the best seats!!!) waiting for us. This hotel is right near the Baker Street tube and the bus service (access to all of London) is just down the street. The location was not a problem. I recommend seeing 'The Wallace Collection' if you stay at this hotel. The Wallace museum is not too far from the hotel. I'd definately stay at the Dorset Square again.

toppy Jan 29th, 2001 02:25 PM

To the top for Cristy.