Search

Stonehedge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stonehedge

Two daughters visiting England and Scotland in June and they want to take a trip to Stonehedge. Interested in suggestions on tours or should they just go on their own, cheap places to stay overnight, nearby towns to explore and other interesting places to see, shopping and eateries.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Sorry mistyped...Stonehenge.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can either be a day trip or an overnight depending on what else they have planned.

Day Trip: Train from London to Salisbury, local tour bus out to Stonehenge and back, wander around Salisbury/Cathedral/etc., train back to London.

Overnight Trip: Same in general as above but staying in a B&B in Salisbury - but it gives them the opportunity for Inner Access which are early in the AM or in the evening after closing time. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...circle-access/

Main problem is the inner access sells out far ahead - so I'd first see if I could get tickets from English Heritage and if so, <i>then</i> look for accommodations for the night.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Here's a good website with all the different ways to get to Stonehenge by public transportation.
http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod..._transport.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

They are going in late June and no inner access available then. They are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Monday...so they need a place to stay and other suggestions on things to do in the area. Any suggestions on inexp B&Bs, places to shop, sites to see?
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM

>>They are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Monday...so they need a place to stay and other suggestions on things to do in the area. Any suggestions on inexp B&Bs, places to shop, sites to see?<<

Please clarify:

• places to stay/shop/eat in Salisbury or elsewhere? Do they want to stay all 3 days near Stonehenge?

• What is their budget?

>>sites to see<< - Reading a guidebook would be helpful . . .
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:55 AM

I love what you can find on the internet for free!

Have a look at

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/e...uth/salisbury/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/salisbury/ (there is a "side trips" section)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/...land/salisbury (has links to various accomodations, restaurants, attractions in the area and a broader section "Southwest England")

The one thing I would have liked to do that we didn't have time in the day trip we took was to see more of the ruins beyond Stonehenge (like Avebury).
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Not sure if this is helpful as we had a car, but here is what we did for our long weekend to Bath / Stonehenge / Avebury etc.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08...tonehenge.html
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone....read the blog, very helpful indy_dad

They are arriving in the Stonehenge area on a Sat. so need a place to stay (low budget) and will depart Monday. Where would you stay (cheap for two nights) in the Stonehenge area....what else would you do for activities?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM

The Amesbury Travelodge is 2 miles from Stonehenge, and a double room for a weekend in mid June 2013, if booked now and non-refundable, is £22 per night per room. That price will not include breakfast.

I have not stayed there myself, and Travelodges can vary in quality, but you did ask for low budget.

www.travelodge.co.uk

Other places in the local area to visit are Salisbury, Old Sarum, Avebury and numerous ancient earthworks.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Chartley. Have you been to Stonehenge and if you were going to spend a day and a half in the area...what would you do/see? I understand the inner access is not available during the time my daughters will be at Stonehenge....how far away will be they be from behind the fence? Still get a good experience without inner access?

What tours would you recommend....Stonehenge/Bath...or Stonehenge/Windsor Castle? Or some other tour involving Stonehenge...or would you see sites without a tour?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:42 AM

"<i>how far away will be they be from behind the fence? Still get a good experience without inner access?</i>

I'm not sure where this idea of a 'fence' comes from. (not directed at you -- MANY folks ask about this 'fence').

It isn't a fence. It is a single cable strung between little poles. It doesn't inhibit the view at all nor mess up the photos. In some areas one gets quite close to the stones and in others the walkway is farther out.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj......what is your opinion of the Stonehenge experience?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:29 PM

>>what is your opinion of the Stonehenge experience?<<

I've visited 15+ times. Years ago "Inner Access" wasn't necessary . . . since EVERYONE got inner access because there was no 'fence'. I have an old faded photo of my ex-husband sitting on the base of one of the stones w/ our Scottie and Airedale.

IMO it is an amazing sight. But not everyone agrees. I'm waiting to visit again until after the new visitors center is complete and the surrounding landscape restored. Sometime next year.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:30 PM

To enrich your experience at Stonehenge, I suggest you do a bit of study on its building before hand and also take the audio guide. I strongly suspect that those who don't find it an amazing site/experience are those that just do a walk through without any idea as to the scope of its construction and its social/cultural significance.