Reload this Page >

Dordogne village for 1 week holiday? Limeuil or Daglan

Notices

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am finding it really hard to make a decision on a 1 week holiday villa rental in the dordogne for May and a I thought a few of you may be able to help.. hoping StCirq will also see this for advice please .
Here is our brief..
Three women (my mother, aunt and myself) + my one year old son
Travelling from Australia and driving a hire car from Bordeaux
After a beautiful relaxing week in traditional french countryside close to village (walk ideally or bike). Not too touristy or big (Sarlat etc).
Original plan was to stay in Paunat (on recommendation from a friend), however can't find reasonable accommodation there.
We have two current options;
Limeuil - 600metres from the village and a beautiful house
Daglan - 4 km from the village in a beautiful restored farmhouse www.thethums.com. So would need bikes to get into town if others take the car for sight seeing etc. A bit further away from where we originally wanted to be, but also closer to Sarlat.
My mother wants to visit all the touristy spots near Sarlat. Daglan looks closer, but then further away from Bordeaux...
What is a nicer area to stay in? Or would you recommend another area to the two options about?
Really appreciate any advice you have.
Many thanks MJ
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 04:34 AM

We stayed in Limeuil in a vacation rental in the center of town. It is a small village with at least one good restaurant, a bakery and a couple of shops. A lot of artists apparently live there so there are some craft gaulleries, etc. It is right on the river - very picturesque. Limeuil is very convenient and centrally situated to visit other sights in the Dordogne.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM

We stayed in a house right in Daglan town and loved it (both the house and the town). It's more 'off-the-beaten-track' than Limeuil, perhaps, and pretty small...but it has one of everything (a grocery, a bank w/ ATM, a post office, a bakery, a fine-dining restaurant, a pub, etc.).

Staying right in town fit our style well, and we valued the convenience. I wish I could find the right reference number on the Simply Periogord website for you.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM

BTW, here's what Daglan looks like, early in the morning...

http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p...543f0#hb7543f0
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:12 AM

I like Limeuil for its location on the river and access to the Saturday market in Lalinde. I prefer to be in a place where I can walk or bicycle to the Boulangerie in the morning for fresh bread and croissants, and think you might find that more convenient, all the more so with son with you.

You could be in the most "congested" part of either town and you will not be able to hear any disturbing noise.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Of those two choices, I would stay in Daglan. One might argue that Limeuil is a bit prettier and has a few more shops/amenities, walking up and particularly down that incredibly steep cobblestone path through town gets old really quickly. Plus, assuming the weather is good, the parking lot at the foot of the hill could be constantly filled with daytrippers and canoeists and kayakers. Also, not sure what 600 meters from the village means. There are essentially two parts to the village - one at the river village and one at the top of the hill.

No matter which place you pick, you'll be close to a good market. The ones in Le Bugue and Le Buisson are closer to Limeuil than Lalinde.

Why are you coming into Bordeaux? Because you're coming direct from CDG? If so, that makes sense. If coming from Paris proper, take the train to Brive - much shorter drive.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Very helpful. Really appreciate you spending the time to get back to me.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Both lovely villages - so it's a hard call! If you rental was right in Daglan, I would have chosen that immediately, but the kicker for me is being situated 4km out of the village, which takes away some of the benefits of being there...eg walking to get the morning bread, strolling to or from a restaurant for dinner etc. At least in Limeuil, if you are at home with your son, you can take him for a picnic & paddle down on the riverbank, without needing the car. In May the traffic won't be so busy in Limeuil, compared to high summer. The markets at Le Buisson and St Cyprien are both excellent, and Le Bugue has all the commerces.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:35 AM

I know the Thums' place well. Great cottages, all of them, and very helpful English hosts. It's located well above the town, on top of a hill, actually, so it's more likely you'll be driving down into the town to do any shopping or café sitting, unless you're quite fit. But with a gîte, I imagine you'll be making your own breakfasts anyway. In Daglan itself, there's a small grocery store, butcher, etc., and a couple of cafés, tea house, and an excellent restaurant. It'll be blissfully quiet up at the Thums gîte complex.