Budapest to Venice in two days by train?

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest to Venice in two days by train?

Hey Folks,
I'm traveling to Europe for the first time next month! My wife and I don't have a lot of time left to prepare for the trip, so I need some advice from those in the know. Our first destination is Vienna, then on to Budapest. After our stay in Budapest, we are making our way to Venice. We'd like to do this leg in two days with a night stay-over along the way. However, I'm having no luck finding a good train route, and I'm not sure of any great towns or cities in which we can spend the night. We'd prefer not to go through Vienna again from Budapest, since we'll be heading back there to fly out. If possible, we'd like to take the most scenic route (obviously). Since it will really be two train rides, which of the two is the more scenic? Perhaps we can bump up to first class on that leg.

So, please help us find our way! Additionally, we could also use suggestions on the best route from Venice to Vienna. We'd most likely do that leg in one day.

Any advice about our travels would be quite welcome,
-Don
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Vienna to Venice is just about 5 hours I think though there is also an overnight train you could take.

From Budapest you could head, I think without looking at a rail map, down by Lake Balaton into Croatia or Slovenia via Bled and Ljublana, an easy day from Venice by train or bus and trains if direct trains are still not running.

Anyway check out these IMO fantastic European rail sites for maps and possible routes - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM

In case it wasn't real obvious from the home page here is a more specific link to Rick Steves rail maps on line.

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/map_menu.htm
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go through Vienna to Innsbruck for an overnight. The train route south from Innsbruck over the Alps is very scenic. The route from Budapest to Zagreb is long and boring.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM

I dso not think you need to go as far as Zagreb but I will check some maps - the Vienna to Venice rail line IMO is as scenic or more than the Innsbruck-Brennero-Verona-Venice line and shorter to boot.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

You guys are very helpful...thanks!

Keep it coming.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
DonKol,

this is just the sort of query fodorites love - the "I'm going to Paris for 3 nights and want to know what to see and where to stay" thread is not so popular.

I like thursdaysd idea though it does have you backtracking.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Actually Vienna to Venice is now 2-3 hours longer than Innsbruck to Vienna but you have to spend 3 hours or so getting to Innsbruck.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Vienna to Venice just 5 hours? I've done it in both directions. It was 8 hours each time. A perfectly pleasant 8 hours. But not a short jaunt.

Someone may prove me wrong but I cannot imagine there is an easy direct and comfortable route from Budapest to the Adriatic and thence to Venice. I'm pretty sure you have to double back to Vienna to make decent connections. And there is simply no comparison between the condition and amenities of Hungarian trains and Austrian (or Italian) trains. IE I'd suck it up and backtrack to Vienna to catch a train to Italy.

Finally, could I suggest checking into flights between Budapest and Venice? I have not researched this but in some seasons, there are remarkably cheap deals (usually RT fares, I admit) between popular destinations, on national airlines (such as Malev or Alitalia).

Use their home-country website NOT their US or N American website: the prices are often wildly different.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM

Malev went out of business a bit ago... Ryanair flies this route... very cheaply but not every day...
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM

1) Travel from Budapest to Vienna from €13 by the 15:10 Railjet train booked at www.mav-start.hu - you collect tickets from the blue self-service kiosk at Budapest Keleti station.

2) Travel from Vienna to Venice overnight by direct EuroNight sleeper train leaving Vienna Westbahnhof at 20:48 arriving Venice Santa Lucia 08:34, from €39 in couchettes or from €69 in a 2-bed sleeper booked at www.oebb.at with print at home tickets.

Simples!
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the detailed info, Man_in_seat!
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM

Yeh the Man is a Man in terms of European trains!