Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dordogne/Provence trip (May 10-24)--how many days each? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dordogne-provence-trip-may-10-24-how-many-days-each-1037628/)

samoca Feb 13th, 2015 03:14 PM

Dordogne/Provence trip (May 10-24)--how many days each?

After getting advice about splitting trip to one week in Dordogne and one week in Provence in previous thread, I realize that I'm not sure how many days of a week in Provence/Cote d'Azur to apportion to each, since my previous trip in the area was longer.

So my friend can get a good taste of all three areas--would really appreciate how many days for Dordogne (based in Sarlat), how many days in Provence (probably based in St. Remy) and how many around Nice (where she will fly back). I want to be nearish Nice, so I can continue on to French border town or over into Italy for another week or two after she leaves.

We will fly into Toulouse and have first night there, rent a car and reach Sarlat by second night. Right now it looks like 5 days in Sarlat for day trips, then one day spent driving to St. Remy--about 5-1/2 hours. Where do you suggest stopping for lunch?

Then we have 18-24th for Provence/Cote D. Should we just choose one area or the other maybe, or just stay a couple of nights somewhere in mid-Provence? Or forget the Riviera for this trip and maybe just stay overnight in Nice?

Thanks for your help, FFF gang!

StuDudley Feb 13th, 2015 04:16 PM

I'll re-post my answer from your prior thread:
- 1 night Toulouse
- 5 nights/4 1/2 days in the Dordorne
- Drive to Provence, stopping in Carcassonne for a visit & lunch
- 5 nights/4 days St Remy/Provence

That makes 11 days and I think that's all your friend has available. You really can't explore Provence and Nice/Cote d'Azur from one base. Save Nice for another trip or spend your last night there.

Stu Dudley

Underhill Feb 13th, 2015 09:28 PM

I'd modify Stu's itinerary to reduce the time in the Dordogne to 3-1/2 days, allowing more time for the long drive to Provence. Stop overnight somewhere on the way.

Underhill Feb 13th, 2015 09:30 PM

Much as it pains me, I have to agree about saving Nice, and the rest of the beautiful eastern Provence region, for another trip. Then again, skip western Provence and head to the Côte d'Azur!

samoca Feb 17th, 2015 09:15 AM

Stu: Thanks again for your "sagesse."

Underhill: Thanks for your suggestions. I would like to stay longer in Dordogne since I have never been to the region. I did spend 2 weeks in Provence/Cote d'Azur 9 years ago. I googled and it said it takes 5-1/2 hours to go from Sarlat to St. Remy. Maybe that's not the prettiest drive between those two points but don't think it needs staying overnight anywhere. I suggested strongly to my friend that we confine our trip to Provence and the Cote d'Azur but she really wants to see the Dordogne. I plan to stay an extra week to 10 days solo somewhere in Cote d'Azur--maybe Menton after she leaves. Any suggestions of a good town for staying solo east of Nice besides Menton? I will probably be carless at that point.

Thanks again!

StuDudley Feb 17th, 2015 08:42 PM

Nice, Menton, and Antibes are our three favorite cities in that region - so I would stay in Menton of you want to stay east of Nice.

Stu Dudley