Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dordogne/Lyon photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dordogne-lyon-photos-482528/)

Josh Oct 26th, 2004 06:19 AM

Dordogne/Lyon photos

The link below shows some of the photos from our trip to the Dordogne and Lyon.

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...dtrue&Ux=0

From Sarlat (3 days) we visited Beynac, St Cyprien, Les Elyses, Les Cabanes du Breuil, Font-de-Gaume, Cahors, St Cirq Lapopie, Chateau de Cenevieres, La Roque Gageac, and Le Bugue.

We stayed at Hotel Renoir, a simple 3* with friendly service and clean rooms. It's well located about 2 blocks from the historic center.

From Brantome (2 days)we saw Perigueux, St Jean de Cole, Chateau Puyguilhem, and spent a lot of time (relatively) relaxing in the town of Brantome and driving the countryside with the Green Guide.

Our hotel was Moulin de l'Abbaye. It is a lovely restored mill right on the Dronne River. We had windows on 3 walls with river views from each. The restaurant is excellent.

We then drove to Lyon (a long drive, but one of our favorite cities) for 3 days at Cour des Loges. We've stayed here in the past, but were slightly disappointed by some visible wear in our room. Otherwise, it is still a beautiful historic hotel with great service, especially the concierge desk.

We ate and drank well, particularly in Lyon. I'll do my best to answer any questions for upcoming trips.

Thanks to St Cirq, Ger, and Hanl for great posts.

ira Oct 26th, 2004 06:38 AM

Hi josh,

Thanks for some terrific photos.

StCirq Oct 26th, 2004 06:59 AM

Well, you've succeeded in making me thoroughly homesick! Lovely photos. When were you there? When I was there the last week in September, there wasn't a single cèpe in sight, but I see there were crates of them at the St-Cyprien market in your pictures. Everyone said the weather had been too cool and damp.

laverendrye Oct 26th, 2004 07:30 AM

Josh, thanks for the photos. They bring back great memories of our visit last June. The only discordant aspect is the overcast skies, as we enjoyed two full weeks of sunshine!

Josh Oct 26th, 2004 08:10 AM

StCirq,
We returned 10-24. Cepes and noix were on every menu. The leaves had just started to turn, but the landscape was largely green.
After 3 days of overcast we were blessed with sunshine for the remainder of our trip.

hanl Oct 26th, 2004 08:23 AM

Lovely pics. Looks like you had wonderful blue skies in Lyon, at least :)

dln Oct 26th, 2004 08:58 AM

Those are really good photographs! I like that misty one of La Roque Gageac especially. My husband and I would like to visit this part of France on our next trip. Your photos provide some real temptation!

SuzieC Oct 26th, 2004 09:26 AM

I liked the golden tones in the first one - the chateau? Do you photographer types ever make posters out of your artistry?

StCirq Oct 26th, 2004 09:39 AM

That's the tourist office in Sarlat.

Josh Oct 26th, 2004 11:05 AM

The night shot of Sarlat is actually down the road from the Info office...it's Maison Boetie, built around 1500.

Sue4 Nov 28th, 2004 07:02 PM

Josh, I just viewed your photos - loved them! I'm going to the Dordogne in May, so your photos really inspired me. Did you like staying in Sarlat? I'm debating that or one of the villages on the river (Beynac or La Roque Gageac).
Maybe I'll just do both!

ezlivin Nov 28th, 2004 07:10 PM

Josh,
Thank you for sharing your photos. My wife and I have always thought about the Dordogne area, but never visited. Now, through your photos, it seems that this area is a must for our next trip in France.
Cheers.

Mary_Fran Nov 28th, 2004 07:37 PM

Gosh, Josh, those really are neat photos, so evocative of France. What a beautiful country.

cigalechanta Nov 29th, 2004 07:39 AM

Josh, I loved your photos. They bring back memories of our stay at St Cirq Lapopie and at the Moulin de L'Abbaye.
Two delightful times. Thank you.

Josh Dec 9th, 2004 05:49 AM

Sue4,
Sorry for the late reply...I thought this post was forever buried.
I chose Sarlat because we wanted to base in a larger town. La Roque Gageac and Beynac are both beautiful, but can be covered on foot in about 2 hours. Sarlat had more shopping, restaurants, etc.
All 3 towns are well located for touring this region. We found more activity in Sarlat.
Have a great trip.