Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dordogne for a group of 8 to 12 women Location? BB, gite, hotel ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dordogne-for-a-group-of-8-to-12-women-location-bb-gite-hotel-822077/)

comedian Jan 16th, 2010 10:50 PM

Dordogne for a group of 8 to 12 women Location? BB, gite, hotel ?

Yoo HOO! (very Australian call!) all you Dordogne experts.. St Cirq, Stu, Carlux etc. I do know the area well but have a unique situation. I am organising a Girls getaway for 8 to 12 of us to Dordogne end Aug.for 1 week. We will have hire mini van and driver but not always and not nights.. So, where to stay? Research so far... some great gites which we will love can acomm up to 12..one up near Montignac, 'Coste Perrier' (not my fave area, prefer south ),one near Roc st christophe, the other Metairie Haute 4kms from Sarlat, Altern is hotels in Sarlat, but a bit soulless egs (pool) le renoir Bon Encontre, Selves and hotels in Beynac and roque gagaec, relais 5 Chateaux and Domme . I just think a hotel room is such a shame when you see the gites and B & B's on offer and the 'girls' will like grounds, pool, wine, kitchen. Also considering B & B Granges Hautes (avail). But remember dinners/nightime and no cars! I 'd prefer the girls to be able to walk somewhere to eat, have coffee, stroll, see sites..not totally isolated, So any suggestions of where you'd base a gp of about 12 'girls' (late 40's 50 active) and do you think they could get a taxi easliy enough the 4kms to/from sarlat from gite 4kms away? Finally, if i don't take a gite for a week and do split the 7 days and do 2 of them over in The Lot, say towards beaulieu/ Collonges/carrenac...any suggestions? Pleeeeaaaase help....i will provide return favours by providing answers to queries for rest of france, Thailand and Australia if U ever need!!

Michael Jan 16th, 2010 11:07 PM

Gites and B&Bs tend to be in the countryside, some distance from restaurants and cafés. You probably will have to stick to hotels.

Carlux Jan 19th, 2010 11:17 PM

Yes, gites and houses for rent tend to be in the countryside. I would definitely recommend les Granges Hautes - we know the owners, who are charming. But they are in the countryside. Most gites and houses also tend to have double beds, which doesn't sound like a great option for you.

One possibility might be Les Cordeliers, a chambres d'hotes (B&B)in Sarlat. I haven't been in, but it looks nice from the outside, and has a great location. They seem to have several rooms with single beds.
http://www.hotelsarlat.com/index.html

comedian Jan 20th, 2010 03:16 PM

Thanks Carlux and Michael..I have researched both properties and if my numbers stay at 10 I can fit into granges hautes...Cordeliers not enough twins. The gite Metairie Haute could work too so I'll have to decide location v's ambience I think

StCirq Jan 20th, 2010 03:42 PM

You might contact Simply Périgord and see what they might have in the way of a rental. They have some large houses.

www.simply-perigord.com

They will likely not be in town, though. There is taxi service in the Dordogne, but at least the one I've occasionally used requires some advance planning.

I would definitely not book at the Selvès - absolutely NO character, in a place that's known for that. I'm sure it's a nice place to stay, but it's definitely NOT "the Dordogne experience."

iris1745 Jan 20th, 2010 03:52 PM

Hi; Try these houses. But for only eight. www.vbro.com/223371 or www.vbro.com/72430

progol Jan 20th, 2010 05:06 PM

I love Les Granges Hautes, and was about to HIGHLY recommend them - until I saw that you won't have a car and will be dependent upon a p/t driver.

It's a wonderful property, but definitely far enough away from any town that it could present a problem. You could check with the owners about taxi availabilty, but I suspect you'd be much better off staying in or considerably nearer one of the towns.

Paule

Carlux Jan 20th, 2010 09:54 PM

You do know that La Metairie Haute is 10 minutes from Sarlat by car?

Lifeman Jan 21st, 2010 01:03 AM

If you decide to go for a house, if you have 10/12 women then look for one with a number of bathrooms!

comedian Feb 1st, 2010 02:13 PM

Thanks eveyone for replies. I have been away so first chance to read. Re Metairie Haute whilst isn'r IN Sarlat, for those few times we cant drive in, taxi can be a pre planned option.There are loads of bathrooms!! Granges Hautes may no longer have that avail as I've left it a while. I am down to 2 hotels as I'd like a pool for late Aug. Le Renoir and new one Bon Encontre. Renoir OK, ...any opinion on Bon Encontre?

Carlux Feb 2nd, 2010 10:34 AM

Re booking a taxi, I don't want to seem too pessimistic, but just remember that taxis in this area aren't all that common - they exist, but must be booked ahead to get you there, and again to get you back. And there aren't a lot.

La_Tour_de_Cause Mar 15th, 2010 10:39 PM

And you'll need a couple of taxis for 8-12 people!