Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Dordogne end of Sept. -- booking ahead necessary?

Dordogne end of Sept. -- booking ahead necessary?

Aug 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Dordogne end of Sept. -- booking ahead necessary?

We plan to spend about 2-3 days around the Domme, Beynac, and Sarlat area and prefer to stay in smaller villages (to avoid traffic around larger towns). Do you think it's necessary to book ahead for a room? We prefer to have the freedom of no reservations, but we also don't relish the thought of driving town to town searching for a room if it's going to be that busy. I know it's become a very popular area but not sure if that applies to the last week in Sept. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Aug 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM

You probably will have no problems finding a room.
Aug 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM

The last week in September, probably no problem. Any earlier, yes. But there will still be plenty of tourists there - and if you know you want to be around the Domme/Beynac/Sarlat area, why would you not book a room ahead of time?
Aug 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM

I absolutely loved Beynac, and was just there in late June. It was a perfect base for all the Dordogne day trips. If you opt to go canoeing on the river, for example, you are shuttled your choice of several options, for distance, away and then paddle back, with the final pullout at Beynac. It looks even more spectacular from the river! We waited to tour the castle until late in the day which was wise- it became much quieter and by about 7 we were the only ones there and had a perfect dinner while the sun went down.
Are you a budget traveler? Then I highly recommend the Residence Versailles. It only has a few rooms, so I would defintely book now if it's not too late already. We saw hot air balloons floating overhead from the outdoor porch in the evening, overlooking the whole valley below. It was only about 75-80 euro/night, including a spectacular breakfast, homecooked by the charming Fleurys, that was different every morning. The setting is just idyllic.
From here we went on day trips to the caves and also to Sarlat. The yellow stone used there was pretty, but I was unimpressed with the city otherwise. The pedestrian-only area was lined with very expensive shops and the area surrounding the "quaint part" was just like any other city anywhere- lots and lots of traffic! On the other hand, we missed the market day, so that would have helped my impression a lot, I'm sure.

Search this Thread