Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

dordogne-do you drive from the airport or bus it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now airfare to Toulouse from Portland, OR is $630. Sounds like a good rate and is cheaper than Bordeaux. There are four and possibly five women traveling together and we will be renting a car. My conundrum at the moment is do I pick the car up at the airport or stay for a day in TLS and start driving the next day? I think the arrival time is 11 a.m. I don't have a big urge to see Toulouse right now, our last two trips were in big cities and I'm kind of tired of big city exhaustion. I'm looking to stay in Sarlat at La Villa des Consuls as they have nice looking hotel-apartments for around $100/night and sleep 4-6. The other option I'm exploring is a rental house in St. Cirq. Any relation to St Cirq the forum guru? When I inquired about the house I was told she was in St Cirq at the moment. My main concern about where we stay is being close to the coffee bar, bakery, and a little grocery. There is a lot of information on the area and I'll try to peruse it before I ask a lot of already addressed questions. Thanks for your input, Lynette
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:01 AM

If you don't have a great desire to go into Toulouse and your flight arrives any time before early afternoon I would certainly take the car from the airport. ViaMichelin suggests 2hours 10mins Toulouse-Sarlat for 110 miles with tolls just under €5. The village of St Cirq is very picturesque but is not large there would be more choice & more shops etc at Sarlat -although Sarlat will be busier of course. On the other hand if you do stay at St Cirq, be sure to visit the caves at Peche Merle, not far away
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:17 AM

These are two different villages. GregY2 is likely talking about St. Cirq-Lapopie, a picturesque village in Lot (46), just west of Cahor, and close to Pech Merle. The St. Cirq of our "forum guru" is a tiny hamlet just outside Le Bugue in Dordogne (24).

There are at least 3 other St. Cirqs in the area, including one north-east of Montauban, as well as St. Cirq-Madelon and St. Cirq-Souillaget, both in Lot.

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:16 AM
ira

Hi pdx,

The St. Cirq near Sarlat-la-Caneda is indeed the town of our very own StCirq.

I believe that she has an apartment that she rents out.

The town is close to the Grotte Font de Gaume, Grotte Lascaux and several other prehistory sites.

www.viamichelin says 123 mi in 2:39 hr.

Also check www.mappy.com.

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Rent the car in Toulouse, stay overnight in Moissac and go see the monastery. The next day you can drive to the Dordogne, with perhaps a stop in Montauban to see its central square--same vintage as Place des Vosges.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Good ideas, thank you.