Dordogne, Auvergne and Lyon --a report in pictures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been traveling a lot lately (gathering rosebuds while we may), but I've been remiss in reporting on our travels. I used to spend countless hours upon return from trips preparing and posting trip reports. Recently, however, I've been derelict in the trip reporting department--and I'm feeling guilty. I'm embarrassed to say that in the last couple of years in which we took maybe 15 trips to Europe, China and even South America, I haven't made a single report. I've only popped back to this site now and again to greedily collect info from this wonderful source for my next trips.

In planning our upcoming cruise trip to British Isles, I posted a question and as usual got lots of good info. One person remembered a question I'd asked about the Auvergne when planning a trip we took last year. Another, I remembered as a fellow Wisconsinite and s/he said they were planning a trip to Dordogne for this coming September. I figured I'd at least reported on my first Dordogne trip if not my second--but no such thing. What I was able to send was my photo album from the trip we took there last year and for which I'd asked questions about Auvergne.

In the hope that 500+ pictures may be better than thousands of words (any of you who ever read one of my previous lengthy reports might say more like millions) I offer this big album of pix of our 2011 trip from Bordeaux to Lyon, across the middle of France, through the Dordogne and the Auvergne as a substitute for at least one trip report I should have written and posted. Hope you enjoy it. I'll try to do better in the future.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1059433...NCMyeWBjazWaA#
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Wonderful shots!!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Beautiful pictures!!! I take similar subjects....food, markets, towns/villages and landmarks so your album is inspiring to me.

I took notes on a couple of villages we haven't seen yet in the Dordogne & Aveyron area as well as a few restaurants. Thank you!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM

What great shots! I love all the descriptions and photos of the meals...it made my mouth water just looking at them.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sorry they are a year late but better late than never I guess.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank You, Julie, your photos brought back memerories of my times in those areas.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Ah, cigalechanta, honored to have you look at and like my pix. You're my role model for enjoying the moment and piling up good memories. Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks, Julie! I will look at your photos now! I appreciate you posting them.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Abby and Tomas are now in the Dordogne.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm your fellow Wisconsinite and I must say that your photos are beautiful. The lighting on most of them is fantastic. Either your a real pro or very lucky because that isn't the easiest thing to get right.

I really ehjoyed some of the surrounding places we will visit when we stay in Sarlat in Sept.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Julie does get it right! I stayed in Brantome,
What a beautiful spot. the Moulin de L'Abbaye
And another time in Champagnac de Belair at Moulin de Roc
,'
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

cigale, sorry I didn't get these up before Abby and Tomas left for the Dordogne, but I'm sure they'll find plenty of beauty wherever they go. I think it was on your advice that I decided to stay in Brantome. We really liked the area.

TPAYT, lucky rather than talented. DH is the real photographer in our family. I am too lazy to carry great, heavy equipment, so I count on luck and a little help from the Picasa ferries. The editing features just keep getting better and better. Perfect weather doesn't hurt either.

You will love the Dordogne. After we got back from China, I thought and thought about why I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be. It was interesting. In places it was serene. Then finally I realized--but somehow it it wasn't charming. And charm is what it's all about for me. Dordogne is almost always charming. Enjoy.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 03:44 AM

OMG! What gorgeous photos! I had to close out before finishing viewing them all as the food pictures were making me soooooo hungry. I'll look at them all tonight AFTER I've had dinner.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Very nice pictures!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 04:51 AM

I'm only up to photo 100 and think I've already gained 5 pounds! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Hi Julie,
Lovely shots of Lyon, you've whetted my appetite (both physical and mental) for my upcoming trip there (four weeks to go and counting).

Apologies for being 'that guy', but it looks like the photo you labelled as being the 'cafe de federations' is actually a shot of the Cafe des Negociants. I like to think I'd recognise that decor with the amount of time I've spent in there...

The Cafe des Federations I know of has slightly more home-spun decor (which I think is putting it mildly) and is widely considered to be one of the best bouchons in Lyon.

Again, apologies for pointing out what basically amounts to a hairline crack in a 6ft vase, but I couldn't help myself. I know, I'm seeking help...
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Jay G, thanks for the correction. Never hurts to get things right. I'll fix the picture in the library. Enjoy your time in Lyon. It's one of our favorite cities. I hope to be able to go there sometime for their Illuminations festival. Pictures look spectacular.

Glad folks are enjoying the food pix. When we first started traveling, I immediately made DH take pix of our meals. Back then we were about the only ones I ever saw do that. Now you probably see more people doing it than not, though I think Zagat did a survey on it and folks are divided on whether it's acceptable in moderation if you are circumspect in setting up your shots or it's a disgusting intrusion on the dining experience of others. All I know is that when we come home with a bunch of pictures to show friends, the ones they ooh and aah over are always the food. If I were a chef I'd to have my dishes photographed to provide folks vicarious pleasure even if it doesn't show up on the bottom line.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Lovely pictures, Julie! Now where are the ones from your winter holiday trip to the Alpes, if I'm remembering correctly?

Envy you, all that travel-wow!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
twk

Great phoots
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Grandmere, that was the Christmas trip 2009/2010. I recall you helping me with some issues. It was great. Have pretty good pix. Will try to post them soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -