Dordogne and The Lot

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dordogne and The Lot

I'm just beginning to plan a trip to France and can't decide where to go other than Paris. Some of the major tour companies offer a trip that includes Bayeux, Mont St. Michel and Amboise along with Paris. However, I am interested in Dordogne and The Lot areas.

I'll be traveling with my 14-year-old whom I doubt will be very helpful with a map so I hesitate to rent a car on this trip. I found that I can take the train from Paris to Bordeaux so that isn't a problem. I also read that bus travel isn't so good in France.

How would you suggest I travel through Dordogne/The Lot without renting a car? Is it doable? Or, should I opt for the easier tour with the tour company?

This is only my second trip to Europe (or anywhere really) so I'm not a seasoned traveler. It will be just Mom and Daughter and I don't want a lot of hassle with transportation.

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM

No, I would definitely not recommend traveling in the Dordogne and the Lot without renting a car. You absolutely cannot see and enjoy the area without being able to travel freely in a car. Public transportation is virtually nonexistent.

What's the big hangup about renting a car? Can't the 14-year-old read a map and navigate while you drive? If not, time to teach her map skills. Get maps, plan a route, have her do it with you.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I just returned from a trip to that region and I personally think it would be difficult to explore it properly without a car.

My husband did most of the driving and we had no trouble at all. The signage is very good and we always seemed to find adequate parking. July and August can be very busy but if you plan to travel in the off season such as May, September or October it wouldn't be that busy.

There's limited train service to the smaller towns but there are some bus connections. It wouldn't be impossible but very challenging and you'd miss many of the attractions in the region that are impossible to reach by public transit.

Are the tour companies willing to take children?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Get a car with a navigation system...worth every penny IMO especially in a case like this.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
ira

Hi M,

I do think that you will need a car.

I second Dukey on the GPS.

I suggest that you take the train to Libourne rather than Bordeaux.

It is much easier than trying to navigate Bordeaux.

You might find my trip report helpful.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Photos at http://tinyurl.com/sjch4
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-pla2au

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Ira,

When you rented the car in Bordeaux did you use Auto-Europe-UK because you got a cheaper rate than using AutoEurope-US???
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:51 AM
ira

Hi Dukey,

Yes.

You have to check, though. Sometimes one is cheaper than the other.

Also, AE-UK usually requires that you accept the CDW.

Also check www.gemut.com

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone; you have been very helpful. I will either take the tour and stay to the North, or rent a car if I decide I can't miss the Dordogne.

To whomever asked, the tour I was looking at accepts children over 5 years.