Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Dordogne 6 of us need gite - recommendations please

Dordogne 6 of us need gite - recommendations please

Nov 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Dordogne 6 of us need gite - recommendations please

We are planning to stay in the Dordogne region Sept/Oct for 1 week next year.
We would like to stay around the Sarlat area and we have been searching rental accommodations.

Can anyone please give us some recommendations as we are really researching blind. We have been looking at ones up to about 950 euros.

All help appreciated
Nov 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Is it 3 couples, or adults with children?
Nov 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes it is 3 couples, we are from Australia.

We don't mind if some of the bedrooms only have twin beds but the more doubles the better
Nov 27th, 2008, 05:05 AM

This is a house I rented in 2006 in Domme. It was too small for us (three couples and two singles) but it would be appropriate for three couples. One bedroom is much nicer than the others, however. And there are stairs to climb to the two other bedrooms.

I will be very happy to answer any and all questions about the house or the village of Domme; I did a trip report and will bring it to the top of the list here so you can take a look..the title is something like Basque country, Dordogne, Paris..

http://www.vrbo.com/131327

October price is 600 GBP per week.
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, thank you for your reply

I have looked up the house in Domme, I am very keen to rent in that area. I looked up the site it looks good. I have sent off an email to the owner. Did you find all amenities were good?

What time of year did you go. We will be staying in Provence first for 2 weeks haven't booked that yet.

Have been looking in the Roussillon area. Did you go there as well?

I will check out your trip report.

Thank you for your help
Nov 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Aussie, we rented the house in Domme during the second week in October. This was a very good time to be in the area, as most of the tourists had disappeared but the weather was lovely. The Thursday market in Domme was down to a few vendors at that time, but the other markets were very lively. The house has apparently changed hands since we rented. The website of the owner I rented from no longer shows Les Rosiers, which is now listed on VRBO, as you see.

The only potential problem with Les Rosiers, as I see it, is the disparity between the bedrooms. The one on the ground floor is so much nicer than the others that perhaps there should either be a supplement paid, or a switch midweek. When we were there the house had no cable tv and thus no reception in English, which I am just mentioning in case that would affect your decision. I believe the former owners were going to have satellite installed.

Domme is very hilly, so be aware of that if anyone has walking difficulties. the situation is ideal for visits to Sarlat, Le Roque Gageac..just about everyplace in the Dordogne...

I did not go to Roussillon. But I did take a trip to the Tarn/Garonne area near Albi/Gaillac in 2007 and thought it would be a wonderful place to rent a house.

I thought that villages such as Puycelsi, Bruniquel, Monasties, were among the prettiest I have seen anywhere in Europe (and I have been to many, if not most, regions of France)

Here are a few pics of Bruniquel:

http://www.bruniquel.org/vignettes.html

Nov 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Never mind, I see that the house now has satellite tv.

But I now realize that one of the upstairs bedrooms has a single bed, which would mean that one couple has to either share a tiny bed, or sleep in the downstairs room with the bunk beds...
Nov 28th, 2008, 04:34 AM

We rented a villa in Sarlat in August 2007 from a lovely couple who were very helpful and easy to deal with. They have various properties. We rented Villa Rosa in Sarlat which was fantastic. Their website is

http://www.sarlatholidayhomes.com/

We also are Aussies.
Nov 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy thank you for your reply.

I have emailed the owner and yes I think someone would have to share bunk beds. Not sure about that, so we are looking at some other options.

I enjoyed your trip report and have bookmarked it, most enjoyable.
Nov 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

oops sorry the reply went twice.

Neno_05

Hello fellow Aussies!
Thank you for your infomation I have looked at your link, thank you.

I have now emailed them and are waiting for a reply. Was the villa in a good location. My husband would like to wander down to bakerys etc, nearby. We are uncertain as to whether would should stay out in the countryside or in town.

Was there somewhere to park cars, I think we will have two.
What time of year did you go?
Nov 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM

We were a group of 12 so Villa Rosa was perfect for us.

There was a bakery at the bottom of the driveway and a Lidl supermarket across the road. It was an easy 7 minute walk to the centre of Sarlat.

The property was hugh and secluded but still close to everything. Plenty of room to park.

We stayed in Sarlat for a week at the end of August 2007. We loved it! Great to be able to walk into the old town for dinner at night and have easy access to the countryside during the day.
Nov 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks neno_05

I have had a reply from villa Rosa it does look like a great location but I think it might be too big as there are only 6 of us. Might work out too expensive especially with the Aussie dollar.

However we are keeping it in the mix for now because of the great location.

Thats our dilema there are some very nice properties but in the countryside which is appealing also.

Nov 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM

Have a look at www.gite.com, which specializes in French houses, broken down by region. it also has a section where you can post the kind of house you are looking for, and the request will be sent to house owners. Look under 'Special offers' and and you'll find a section called 'Looking for accommodation'
Nov 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Carlux

I have bookmarked the site and will investigate further.

Everyone has been most helpful.

When I have finished investigating and booking our rentals I will post my findings and how I made my decisions

Search this Thread