Reload this Page >

HELP! Getting to Versailles from Ile St Louis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:37 PM
Eve

Dear All: <BR> <BR>Hoping you can help me out asap! Am leaving for Paris on Friday (it's Wednesday here), and I need to know which is the easiest way to get to Versailles from Ile St Louis? Should we splurge and go in a tour bus? or should we try and make our way there via the metro? Any tips would be appreciated.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:10 AM
Alex

Courtesy of my Blue Guide: RER line C from St. Michel station(west from Ile St. Louis a few blocks and several hundred years along the quais on the left bank) to Versailles-Rive Gauche. Or, Metro to Pont Sevres, then bus 171 to Palace. Even better: ask at the front desk of your hotel. That (along with wine, cheese and les jours feries) is what they live for. <BR>Also, the RER has a web site, and, Fodor's has a Metro map on its site. <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:30 AM
joe

If you walk from Ile St Louis to the RER station you will pass by some of the most beautiful views in the world.Two bridges over the Seine, a great look at Notre Dame and it's less than 1/2 mile.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:59 AM
elvira

Others have answered the transportation question very well, so I'll tackle Versailles: <BR> <BR>You can do the tour on your own (several guidebooks have detailed descriptions of the castle); you can join a tour at the castle (given in English); you can rent an audio tour at the castle (in English). <BR> <BR>I like tour busses if getting to a sight takes too long via public transportation, and the bus is more efficient timewise; or if the sight has too many layers of history to easily make sense of it without a guide. <BR> <BR>Versailles is neither, so do it on your own...you can wander the gardens (let me know if the missing marbles have been returned), visit the hameau, rent bicycles...

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:02 PM
Eve

Thanks guys, <BR>You've been extremely helpful. <BR>Do you know if there are any shuttles that pick you up from your hotel, drop you off there and let you wander on your own until pick up time many hours later? <BR>I kind of like the idea of being shuttled there but not the part of being with a group for a tour!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:32 PM
Jody

Eve, <BR>It's not that hard, just get the RER, it's a 15 minute walk from the station. Get your ticket and walk thru then do the gardens. It's no big deal. <BR> <BR>DO NOT get lost in the gardens if it is a very foggy day! we wandered around for over a hour, finally saw a tour group and followed them out! <BR> <BR>The town itself is quite nice, a market on Sundays, if you feel like wandering further. Have lunch in the town and then heead back, a nice day's outing.Just wander around , get lost , whatever, those are the best times