Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Doolin to DIngle (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/doolin-to-dingle-981230/)

traveltina Jun 10th, 2013 02:17 PM

Doolin to DIngle

If we are going from Doolin to Dingle, but would like to stop in Ennis and Adare, what is the best route? We want to avoid Connor's Pass as it looks way to scary for me to drive. We would also like to visit some small towns on our ride down. Thanks!

Tony2phones Jun 10th, 2013 02:42 PM

Doolin to Dingle is the route any self respecting hre car can do blindfold without a driver so no worries.
Much as I love Ennis there is no need to drive through town (which can be a bit tricky) so maybe Adare and Listowel (which is a great little Heritage town) http://goo.gl/maps/VIDKG

Tony2phones Jun 10th, 2013 02:46 PM

Connor Pass by the way is one of the key reasons to do Dingle peninsula. The road has been improved greatly for tourist traffic and there is only one 300 yard stretch which is single lane with passing places.

Kristinelaine Jun 10th, 2013 03:02 PM

If you're taking a (public) bus from Galway to Dingle, I'm assuming it will go over Connor Pass. Is that correct?

Tony2phones Jun 10th, 2013 03:29 PM

There are No bus's permitted on the Connor because of the very short section that is narrow.

Kristinelaine Jun 10th, 2013 04:55 PM

So if you don't have a car, do you try to take a tour by someone in Dingle in order to do the Connor Pass? Is it similar to, better than, not as good as the Gap of Dunlow?

traveltina Jun 10th, 2013 07:07 PM

Thank you Tony2phones....I guess we will just close our eyes on that 300 yard stretch as that is the part that scares us! Great advice! I'm very excited about my trip and have received such great information from these forums...wow, anyone who does not read this before a trip is crazy!

Tony2phones Jun 11th, 2013 01:50 AM

There is a small bus tour from Dingle Town that does the Whole peninsula, Takes 4 Hours or 2 Hours for the Slea Head part Of course you could just hop into a taxi and do the Connor.
How it compares to the Gap on Invaragh depends if you have done the Gap and black Valley. Personally I prefer Beara which has no big bus tours but the writing is on the wall with a small bus running out from Kenmare a few days a week in summer. Healy pass is the most scenic way to leave Cork and enter Kerry.

wrenwood Jun 11th, 2013 02:52 AM

I think you will laugh when you see how easy Connor Pass is. Most everyone is stopped around the 1 lane stretch, or going very slowly because of the beautiful scenery. It is not to be missed.

Itallian_Chauffer Jun 11th, 2013 05:48 AM

Just to the North of the narrow stretch is a car park area with a pretty waterfall and some hiking trails.
Not too far South of the narrow stretch is a Large Car Park and observation area at the summit.

Along the stretch, there are a couple of 'wide spots' for people to turn off into, in the event of on-coming traffic.

Before you get to the Pass, near Camp, there is a road that heads South, to Annascaul, that will bring you into Dingle via the South coast -- avoiding Conor Pass --

But, as Tony said, 'Why would you visit Dingle and NOT see Conor Pass?'

Bob

cd Jun 11th, 2013 06:55 AM

Connor Pass and Slea Head Drive is some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen and the reason we went to Dingle.

traveltina Jun 11th, 2013 07:44 AM

Okay Connor Pass it is...pray for us! We live in Florida driving on flat land with a stoplight every block.

Itallian_Chauffer Jun 11th, 2013 05:42 PM

I've lived in Florida since 1977 and have driven nearly 20,000 kilometers around Ireland, since 1999.

So, trust me, when I say that the THOUGHT of doing it is a LOT scarier than ACTUALLY doing it!

Take your time and enjoy. You are NOT in a race.

Bob

traveltina Jun 12th, 2013 07:23 AM

Thanks...off I go!

traveltina Jun 27th, 2013 07:15 AM

Slea Head and Connor Pass were no problem at all. Beara Peninsula was wonderful....nobody on the road. Take Tony's advice people! Driving is tricky, I have to say, but just take it slow and allow the faster drivers to pass you when you can pull over. We had no time schedule so we made a full day of Beara Peninsula and Slea Head. We did a portion of Ring of Kerry and the buses were insane - definitely not worth it if you do the other two drives. Also, loved Kenmare over Killarney - would never go back to Killarney, although the surrounding area - National Forest was wonderful, so we did end up hiking all around Killarney, but way too touristy to stay there - luckily we only did one night and spent the rest in Kenmare. Doolin, Dingle and Kenmare were our favorite, along with some of the smaller towns we stopped in on our coastal route from Doolin to Dingle. Ireland is just beautiful and the people are wonderful. However, if you hit the touristy spots - you will end up paying for it!

Tony2phones Jun 27th, 2013 11:22 AM

Glad you had a good time and found our information useful. Thanks for the feedback.

Killarney is hustle laden but big enough to get out of the way if you follow the locals, St Mary's is my 2nd favourite Cathedral (not religious) just to stand and admire the workmanship and that silence that some places have.

cd Jun 27th, 2013 12:07 PM

Glad you had a wonderful time! Thanks for reporting back.