Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Doolin to Aran Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/doolin-to-aran-islands-69632/)

Mariel Apr 24th, 2000 07:22 AM

Doolin to Aran Islands

I'm interested in finding out more about travelling from Doolin, Co. Clare to the Aran Islands. I'm interested in Inishmore and seeing Dun Aengus so so I'd be just going to that one island his trip. I'd appreciate any information on Doolin Ferries (and how long is the boat trip); is a day trip enough time for a visit; any hints on restaurants, shopping, etc. Thanks for your help.

Patrick Apr 24th, 2000 07:49 AM

We stayed in Doolin and took a day trip to Inishmore in May of 1998. We called ahead about booking the ferry, but they said to just show up at the Doolin docks for the 10 AM departure. It left at 11:00 (Irish time, I guess, things don't seem to start very early in the morning.) The trip was less than an hour as I recall. We started with lunch at a little restaurant outside, near the docks on the island. We rented bicycles which were a great way to explore the island, a little hilly for us Floridians, but we did fine. We did park the bikes to walk up the bigger hill to the old ruins. Came back to Doolin late in the afternoon. It was a wonderful day without a cloud in the sky. There isn't a lot to do there other than enjoy the scenery. There are a handful of shops mainly selling sweaters and some handicrafts. No major restaurants that I was aware of. For non-bicycle riders there were pony traps with driver available at the docks. It's a little far just to walk to see the sights. Enjoy it!!

Mariel Apr 24th, 2000 01:07 PM

Patrick: <BR> Thanks for the reply on the Aran Islands. It was very helpful -- <BR>you answered all the questions we had! We'll be staying in Doolin for a day or two --- any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. <BR>Many thanks.

monique Apr 24th, 2000 01:46 PM

Mariel:We had a great adventure on the Aran islands in 1998. Mr Keven O'Brien owns and operates the Ferry "The Happy Hooker" Also, this ferry was featured in the movie "The Macthmaker" The number is as follows:(065)74455 Fax(065)74417.We had to wait for sometime at the pier for all the sheep to exit the ferry first! <BR>Make sure you know the timetable to get off the island back to Doolin, esp if your female...Mr O'Brien wanted us to stay the night for the sheephearder's convention that was taking place on another island, we declined. We were told by Mr. O'Brien that the ferry was to leave at 4:30pm. When we arived..we were informed that the ferry back to Doolin left 1 hour before..Needles to say, we attended a "sheephearder's convention! The only boat leaving, was to Galway that night. Mr O'Brien claimed that he would get us back to Doolin that night via Galway..We boared this boat, greeted with a Kiss from Mr. O'Brien and were informed that if we needed a rest, we could use his state room. Needless to say, we declined. We ended up in at a shipyard in Galway at 2:30 AM with no room/car and Mr.O'Brien was nowhere to be found!! <BR> <BR>By the time we reached are car the next day, back in Doolin, We Had to stop for a pint! We stayed for over 8 hours at Gus O'Conno's...If we had never met Mr. Keven O'Brien, missed the ferry, gotten standed in Galway, Hicthiked by to Doolin to our car, been so exhausted we just had to stop for a pint, we would of missed the best pub, best music, the best of the irish people...that took us in a showed us 8 hours of the Ireland that we were hopeful to find!!

Patrick Apr 24th, 2000 06:32 PM

The couple of pubs in Doolin are known for the best music and some of the best atmosphere in all of Ireland. Don't miss them!! We had a wonderful mean at a little cottage sort of restaurant next to the kind of stream in town. Sorry I didn't write down the name, but Doolin is not big, and it is easy to find. You will see a little cottage with a sign that tells you it's a restaurant. When you peak in you will see a small sitting room with a fireplace where you order and have a drink before being seated in one of the several tiny rooms. It was a special evening, made even greater by our rounds at the pubs nearby, listening to music, and lifting a few pints of Guinness.