Don't you just love the colors of ...

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Marie

Don't you just love the colors of ...

the houses in France and Italy? I just love their vibrant yet muted colors. When I have seen homes here in the US in probably the same hues they seem so dull. I remember reading once that in Europe they have powdered tints that are added to basic paints. Is that the missing factor? Any ideas from those of you in the know how I can get the same effect in California? Thanks.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Dayle

Hi Marie! I love the colors of the Riviera too. I have seen some Ralph Lauren paint colors that come close.

But, have you tried finding them to decorate with? The only color that seems to be popular right now in US furniture, and other home furnishings, is olive green. Forget trying to find anything at all in Terra Cotta or Ochre. If you find any sources for home decorating - please share!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
c

This months (April) issue of House & Garden is all about color~

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:58 PM
r

Marie; There are books and books and books on that. Conran has several that have sections on painting the exterior. Plus,there are some catalogues around that sell the pigments. Plus these sources and I know there are many more in California. Are you in L.A.?

OLD FASHIONED MILK PAINT CO. in Groton,Mass. 617-448-6336 dry powder milk base paints in natural earth colors.

Terra Verde Trading Co. Wooster St, NYC

Eco Design in Santa Fe, NM on Rufina Circle

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Marie

Wow, thanks, I knew you clever people would know! Yes, I am in the L.A. area, and can drive to see pigments any weekend. Pigments is the word I was looking for, thank you so much. Any places you know in So.Cal.?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Marie

PS: This is for the exterior of my home.
Now I am so excited! I will have my own mini-mini-villa!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:55 PM
r

Marie; I can't find the name of the store in L.A. but I'll be there this weekend and perhaps it will jog my memory and I'll get back to you. In lieu of that info. I would begin by calling those leads I gave you and ask them who they sell to in L.A. good luck!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Joanne

Marie: I too am a lover of the vibrant colors and individuality you see in France and Italy. I live in the Bay Area and would love to see some color! Everywhere you look in my area is the ubiquitous beige and you dare not change the color (per the homeowners associations).

In my little town a business building downtown was painted purple. I loved it, but most citizens went nuts. Hassled the owner until it was repainted. So much for individuality.

Hope you find exactly what you want.

j

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Marie

Yes, colors are so wonderful, but there is just something about the European paints! Thanks, R., I will wait your return from LA.
Purple.....my neighbor's would hate it....maybe.....terra cotta?

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Capo

Three of my favorite colorful places on the Cote d'Azur are the old towns of Nice, Villefranche, and Menton. I recall Vernazza, in Cinqueterre, as also being quite colorful, Positano definitely was, and Portofino looks very colorful. A place I'm especially looking forward to seeing soon is Burano, an island near Venice. With its very colorful houses, I've heard it described as a photographer's dream.

Funny thing about different cultures, or cities, and the way they view color. When I first moved to Seattle, I'd heard there had been a long-standing "rule" here that you didn't paint your house any color that you couldn't find on the underside of a mushroom. That struck me as so bizarre, given the near-omniprescent gray of Seattle skies in the non-summer months. I mean, why not some color to liven things up a bit? And, since I moved here, I've noticed more and people doing just that.