Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DON'T WANT TO SNEEZE MY WAY THROUGH FRANCE

Jan 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM
ELLEN

Just learned that many owners of hotels and inns in the countryside own dogs and cats. These pets are generally allowed the run of the house. I have severe allergies. Has anyone had a problem with pet allergies in these hotels or inns?

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:34 PM
sneezy

Take lots n' lots of antihistamines with you. Caffeine tablets for when the antihistamines knock you out. Lint remover roll for getting doggy-kitty hairs off your sweater.

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:41 PM
x

Don't even consider going into restaurants or cafes, as pets are welcome in many of them.

Jan 11th, 2002, 07:13 PM
snif-snif

Don't go into hotels either, since many allow guests to bring their dogs, thus adding to the population of resident dogs already there.

Jan 11th, 2002, 07:38 PM
mimi taylor

Ellen, you should book into a hotel that says no pets allowed. We love animals and the small hotels and inns we stayed in always had a cat if not a dog too that would wander in our room.
The larger places are usually the ones that don't allow them.Don't spoil your trip by not asking if it is not listed(usually is).

Jan 12th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Dayle

Dear Ellen, while not allergic to animals, the thing that got me in the south of France was the smoke from burning cane. Had to take allergy pills for 5 days while in the Cannes/Cote d' Azur area.

Jan 12th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Dina

Allergens can be present anywhere in an unfamiliar environment, and the symptoms can't be ignored. Pollution, pollens, animals, exhaust fumes, perfumes, smoke, etc. I was often bothered by this all over the South of France, Italy, and Greece. Get a prescription for a antihistamine that does NOT cause drowsiness, like Seldane, and bring plenty.

Jan 12th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Carolyn

I second Dina's recommendation. I've had very good results with a prescription, non-drowsy antihistamine/decongestant.

Jan 12th, 2002, 01:33 PM
ELLEN

thanks for all your advice. it looks like i'll have to deal with my symptoms particularly during our trip through the countryside. we will be going to the loire valley and to burgundy, so if anyone has any recommendations of where to stay, particularly a place that does not allow animals, it would be greatly appreciated

Jan 13th, 2002, 10:54 AM
RMC

Ellen, do you have a current copy of the Relais & Chateau book? If so at the bottom of each hotel listing is key that says whether pets are allowed or not. There aren't many that don't allow pets but there are a few. If you don't have the book but can tell me the region you're looking in I'll take a look at mine to see if anything is listed.

Jan 13th, 2002, 04:05 PM
ellen

dear rmc,
I have a relais & chateau book from 1997, but I'm sure there are many more additions and up-dates in a newer books. any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jan 13th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Amy

I always bring my prescription Zyrtec plus Benedryl plus my Nasonex. Also bring pillow covers for entire family--allergic or not. We're fine--we're outdoors people so a good night's rest is concern.

Jan 13th, 2002, 05:35 PM
RMC

Ellen,

It's a pretty big book, can you tell me what region?

Jan 14th, 2002, 06:42 AM
ELLEN

DEAR RMC,
SOrry, we are planning to visit the Loire Valley as well as Burgundy. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Jan 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Tracey

Ellen,
I too have severe allergies. I cope by getting a nose spray like Nasonex and bring decongestive pills which seen to help more, like Claritin D. Also invest in a allergy proof pillow cover. This is the biggest savior of them all!
Good luck!
Tracey

Jan 14th, 2002, 11:23 AM
RMC

Ellen,

Here's what I've found according to my assortment of hotel & chateau books. All say they don't take pets of any kind. I'd still verify with each place to make sure. Try searching on YAHOO for the names--hopefully all have websites but if not I'll post address & phone/fax numbers if you need them. Most have come from Relais & Chateau or Chateau Independents (www.chateauhotels.com)

Loire:

1.Domaine des Hauts de Loire (very nice place I might add!)
2.Le Clos du Cher in Noyers Sur Cher
3.Chateau de Bouesse in Bouesse

Burgundy:

1.Chateau de Challanges in Beaune
2.Hostellerie du Chateau de Ste Sabine in Pouilley En Auxois

3.Chateau de Malaisy in Montbard (Fain Les)

Hopefully will get you going........

Good luck!

Jan 14th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Grasshopper

Something else to think about if you have allergies.... we stayed in a chateau near Tour a couple of years ago and one poor man came to breakfast absolutely miserable. He had a mold allergy and while we didn't notice anything unusual, he couldn't breathe.

Jan 14th, 2002, 03:34 PM
ellen

thanks all for your advice. I guess i'll be OD'ing on antihistimes, and hopefully they won'd intefere with all my wine sampling!
RMC-thanks for the hotel advice. I was actually looking into Domaines des Hautes des Loire. what do you know about it.
It looks amazing.

Feb 28th, 2002, 08:47 PM
katie

I have trouble with mold too, so often I find asking for a room not on the ground floor is a help. But far worse is the problems I get from those room deoderizers that plug in. They seem to not be using them as much however as they did a few years ago, so perhaps other people have had problems too.

Mar 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
me

Ellen, make sure you find out about the reaction of alcohol to your medicine. If you are taking medicine, the wine tasting might bring on a severe reaction. Ask your doctor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO