Reload this Page >

Just booked flights to Paris in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:52 AM
jj

I'm excited and nervous! I'm not a seasoned traveler, so I hope I did the right thing! I've been watching for flights from Charlotte, NC to Paris in mid-June for a while now. I booked yesterday with flights.com; they have consistently had the best prices I've checked. It's on U.S. Air; the price was $524.00 & taxes of $72.40, for a total of $596.40. I checked on the same flights with U.S. Air (by web and also by phone); the exact same flights through them were over $1,000 per ticket.<BR>The only problem I had with booking with flights.com was when I tried to finalize my booking; it would not take it. It simply kept bumping me back to the page where I'd entered all our info; no message that anything was incomplete or incorrect. It finally took my reservation, after about 2 1/2 hr.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
elle

That sounds like a fair price for that time of year.<BR><BR>We are paying $393 plus taxes on Air France for the month of March, so your fare is probably just about right (and I had a frustrating time getting the on-line booking to go through, as well.)<BR><BR>You say you're not a seasoned traveler. Is this your first trip to Paris (you'll love it, I assure you!)? What are your plans?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:42 AM
jj

Thanks, elle. I thought that price sounded pretty good compared to others I've found.<BR>This is indeed our first trip to Paris (and to France). We're actually planning on spending some time in Paris and some in or around the Loire Valley. We're in the process of firming up plans. Do you have any suggestions?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
elle

Tons of suggestions, but before I bombard you with my favorite things--what are your interests? (main tourist attractions or those that are off the beaten track), museums, architecture, shopping, eating, drinking, dancing? How long is your stay? What's your budget like? Do you like to be right in the heart of the main tourist attractions, or in a neighborhood that has more of a local feel? What are your other favorite places to visit (sometimes that helps, e.g., if you like Biltmore, you'll probably love Chenonceau in the Loire Valley).<BR><BR>Last year we were in Paris in May and all of the gardens were so lovely. I expect they'll be even more so in June.<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:30 AM
jj

This will be a family trip (3 sisters and husbands, 21-yr. old niece & boyfriend, & my three boys, ages 17, 14, 9), so maybe a little something for everybody.<BR>We want to see the Catacombs and maybe the underground sewer (?); I need to do more research on that, but I think someone on this forum mentioned that to be of interest to teens; Eiffel Tower.<BR>Not interested in a lot of museums and art (maybe a couple); no drinking & dancing, but good food! My 9-yr. old is interested in anything pertaining to WWI and WWII, so I thought a trip to Normandy might be good. Trip will be 2 weeks total. I'd like to have a hotel in a good location in Paris, but not with a lot of street noise (1 week will be a villa rental -- somewhere).<BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:41 AM
elle

Wow--sounds great.<BR><BR>You might want to stay in the 14th arrondisement (Montparnasse). It's on the left back, and while it's a little farther away from the Seine (and hence, the Right Bank attractions), the Metro can take you there in no time. <BR><BR>In Montparnasse you'd be well situated for the catacombs and sewers tours, not too far from the Eiffel Tower, and within walking distance of the famous cafes (Les Deux Magots, La Coupole, La Rotonde etc) of the Left Bank. Most of them are very touristy now, but heck, you're a tourist, right? So have fun--stop in for a drink and watch the crowds go by.<BR><BR>Teenagers would also probably enjoy the Montparnasse Cemetary (unless, of course, they'd prefer Pere Lachaise, where Jim Morrison is buried). There are a lot of fun, inexpensive creperies near Boulevard Edgar Quinet (also a street market on Saturday mornings).<BR><BR>Normandy sounds like a good choice for your boys--I'd also recommend visiting Mont. St. Michel and possibly the cliffs at Etretat.<BR><BR>Hope this helps

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:38 AM