Dont stay at Hotel Roma in Florence

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Paul

Dont stay at Hotel Roma in Florence

We just returned from a Rome - Florence- Venice 2 week trip. Enjoyed most of the trip BUT ... we stayed at a 4 star hotel in Florence called Hotel Roma. Beautiful hotel, nice rooms, good location.

Heavy construction going on next door woke us up every morning at 7 am or earlier. This looks like long term consturction as well.

We also were woken up by a thief in our room at 4:30 AM going through our bags. We were unaware that you had to lock the door from the inside. The desk at first didnt beleive me (why would I make that up at 4:30 AM??) until I searched the building and found the room they had come into the hotel from. They agreed that there had to be inside help in leaving the window and door unlocked so they could get in.

NO apology from the manager and they wanted to charge us the 55 Euro for phone calls to cancel credit cards, get money transfered etc. Not a good experience.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Diane

Paul, I don't understand the part where you say the door needs to be locked from inside. Isn't that usually the way it's done? Please explain.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:45 AM
x

Diane, even the cheapest motels in the US have doors that automatically lock when closed. However, in Europe, as you know, this is rarely the case.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Paul

Dianne You have to use your key to lock the door from the inside as you do from the outside when leaving. This would be an issue if there was a fire in the hotel. The Venice and Rome hotels were as in the States. You live your learn!

PJW

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Mark

Paul: We stayed at the Hotel Roma in Florence 2 years ago and that same construction was going on. While the location is good and the public areas look very clean and nice, the rooms are time worn and in need of redecoration. I can't believe that they get away with a 4 star listing...they are at best a 3 star facility. I will return to Florence very soon, but not the Hotel Roma.