Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Don't know what to do. Should I continue planning my honeymoon???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 02:56 PM
xx

Just like all of you, I have been mourning, feeling angry and depressed for the past week. The horrible incident that took place a week ago has really affected me. I have been studying and following closely all these terrorists groups but never did it crossed my mind that it would happen here. Like I said before, I have been feeling very depressed and just about the only thing I love to do I can't no more-traveling. <BR> <BR>Up to a week ago I was so excited in planning my wedding and of course my honeymoon. Although we have been there before, we had decided to go to Italy once more. I don't think it is going to be possible anmore. I don't know what to do. We are definately having a honeymoon, perhaps in the Bahamas or St. Lucia but not Italy. Thank you for your opinions.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Mary Ann

There must be a specific reason that you've ruled out Italy. We've paid for tickets and some bookings for our first trip to Italy in Oct. and are praying that we can still go. But that doesn't help you. Everyone hears that we must resume our lives - beginning a new life with your spouse-to-be should be a joy; treasure every moment and take that honeymoon - wherever!

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Dave

You don't say when you are going. <BR> <BR>I am planning on going over next week and try to enjoy myself. I have been waiting 2 years for this trip, and I decided that I have to go. <BR> <BR>After asking a billion people, it came down to how secure I felt, and what all the likely consequences are. My sister in law tried to convince us that in WWII people were trapped in Europe for 6 years. You will get a lot of advice like this... totally unfounded and hyperbole. You will also get lots of good input too. <BR> <BR>I would suggest reading and asking as much as you want, then sitting down and making a decision, then don't look back. <BR> <BR>I guess this wasn't much help, but as I said, at the end of the day, it's up to you. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Jen

Go to Italy and have the honeymoon you always imagined having! I'm not sure why you are saying it's not possible, but my sister-in-law's wedding is next week, and they are off to Spain and Portugal...with no hestitation. <BR> <BR>Of course, if it will take away from your fun, book elsewhere. But I would say go for it.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 06:56 PM
xx

My honeymoon was planned in June 2002.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 07:01 PM
xx

Sorry meant to say.... <BR>Our honeymoon in Italy was scheduled for June 2002.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:38 AM
nancy

xx, <BR>Yes, you are sad right now. <BR>We all are! <BR>I have a trip planned for May 2002, Italy, which I am still going to do, but have stopped planning for now. <BR>I know my heart is not in planning, so why push it? <BR> <BR>Why would you consider a trip to the islands, any different than a trip overseas? <BR>I am *not* asking this to be critical, but have you thought about what those differences are? <BR>Is it a feeling of safety, being closer to home so to speak? <BR> <BR>If you have really wanted to celebrate your marriage by going to Italy, will you allow terrorists to spoil THAT for you? <BR> <BR>We can not answer this for you. <BR>But we can give you our opinions. <BR>Mourn as you should, but do not let this ruin the joy in the future you have ahead of you.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Janine

Maybe you could look at spending your honeymoon somewhere you will feel safer, and think about planning on having your first anniversary in Italy.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:35 AM
Pat

I guess I don't know if there are other circumstances in you life but I don't see any reason to cancel your honeymoon in Italy. My son just left for his honeymoon this past Tuesday. Don't start your new life off in fear. Maybe wait a month and then make your plans. I'm not saying you will forget but you will be further from this incident and things may look different to you.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:39 AM
xx

Thanks for your opinions. To Nancy and Mary Ann, I feel unsafe making a trans-atlantic flight. I certinly hope things change and maybe things will be different in June 2002. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 01:53 PM
nancy

Well then xx, <BR>You must do what makes you most comfortable! <BR>It is the beginning of your marriage, which will be a *long( one, right! <BR>Italy has been there for milleniums and will continue to be there! <BR>Have fun planning the wedding /honeymoon. <BR>But, do not let all those plans and details make you nuts

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Cindy

I'm in a similar situation--have been planning a trip to Tuscany for June and now my husband doesn't feel we should go. <BR>But I just wanted to tell you that we were in ST. Lucia in February for our 25th anniversary (Sandals Halcyon), and it is a WONDERFUL place to spend a honeymoon! If Italy doesn't work out, St. Lucia, while a totally different experience, will not be a disappointment. After all the stress of planning a wedding, a week on that beautiful island may be just what you need. <BR>Good luck with wherever you end up!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:39 PM
qiu

GO for your honeymoon. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you should not let anything prevent you from doing so. Italy is one of the most romantic places I have been to. I went there for my honeymoon 3 yrs ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>My mum has been regretting not going for a honeymoon for 30 yrs...

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 02:45 PM
xxxx

Fly, fly, fly to Italy. Don't let these terrorists scare you. That is exactly what they want. Be patriotic and support our airlines, live your life. Your chances of dying in an automobile accident are still much greater than being killed by a terrorist but I'm sure you still drive.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 06:01 PM
Bob Brown

Your logic escapes me totally. Why would you feel safer in the Bahamas than in Italy? I don't think I would. <BR>The attacks were against us on American soil. You feel safer here than in Italy? In Italy, the murder rate is less by a good percentage than it is in the US. <BR> <BR>I think a hijacker who wanted to steal an airplane could do so much more easily in the Bahamas than in Italy. <BR>I don't know that for a fact, but I do know that the Carbinari don't play games. <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:04 AM
Fontana

We took our trip to Europe in June this year and I'm SO GLAD because IMO it's not safe at all to travel at this time period unless your travels are via car to rural areas of the USA if you are a US citizen. There is no way on earth I would consider flying to Europe or Asia or South America now and in the near future as I think its HIGHLY dangerous. <BR>The terrorists are not finished by a long shot. I love to travel but I will stay near our home state for the next 6 months or so and then reassess the situation.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 05:03 AM
Ann

Please go on your honeymoon. Economies are over the world are being hit extremely hard by the huge drop in tourism. Airlines especially are suffering badly. I'm in Ireland right now, and I'm very glad I came. Do what you planned to do. You won't get stuck anywhere. Don't listen to Fontana. That reasoning doesn't make any sense at all. If there are more terrorist strikes, no one has any idea where they may be. Who can say that Idaho would be safer than Italy? No one.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:17 AM
Karen

xx, Please go on your honeymoon. By June, security will be in place. Italy is a wonderful destination. Go!!!