Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Dont know what area in paris to find a hotel
Notices

Dont know what area in paris to find a hotel

Mar 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Dont know what area in paris to find a hotel

My Husband and I are traveling from the US to Paris for our Honeymoon the end of May. Neither one of us have been there before and are struggling finding a hotel as there are so many options. We would like to stay in an area that is within close walking distance to restaurants and Cafe, sight seeing etc...and I would like to avoid taking taxi's as much as possible. We will only be in Paris for 3 nights before departing to Rome. I would like to find a great room, luxury, romantic and that is not a closet! priced between US $200-no more than $400 a night. would prefer to stay around $300 but I understand Paris is expensive. A room with a view would be great too...but I might be asking for the world here!

Thank you in advance
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM

You are right, it is not possible to find a luxurous room for only 400$ a night in Paris, but it will be possible to find a nice if not large room. We always stay at the Hotel Luxembourg Parc. I would recommend an Executive room which is around 300 to 350€/ night which is around 400$ at the moment. It´s a small lovely hotel in a location that can´t be beat.
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM

No doubts the best zone for you will be the 5th or 6th; (I really like the 5th,Latin Quarter,plenty of anything you can want/need; and you can walk to almost any attraction).
Please,don't forget to take a night cruise on the Seine(our choice is Vedettes du Pont Neuf).Have a nice and happy honeymoon!!!!
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM

The recommendation for first time visitors is usually the 4-5-6th areas, possibly the 1st. No areas in central Paris are bad (in the sense of danger or overall grubbiness), and with a good metro/bus system you can get around easily...but in terms of walking to stuff, the above districts are good for that.

I like Ile St Louis, which is in the 4th, and is a small island with a short main street, nice shops, good restaurants, and easy walk to Notre Dame, Seine cruise, Right/Left Banks and RER train to airport. The Seine a block away for romantic strolls.

A prime location IMHO.

An example:
www.paris-hotel-lutece.com

The island has a lot of old mansions, so the hotel rooms are not always massive, but as the above shows, can be quite nice.
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM

You will not need to take a taxi to find all you want.The buses and metro are super user friendly. Walking is also a desirable mode.
Luxurious may be in the eye of the beholder. Paris is charming, and the hotels can be also. I would think your budget is quite adequate.
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM

I think people who say they want a luxury hotel really have somethign specific in mind or they wouldn't use such a word (how many hotels would you call a luxury hotel?), and a 2 or 3* hotel is not what they mean. You cannot get a luxury hotel in Paris for that budget, it's impossible. With the current exchange rate, even $300 is only 200 euro. $200 is only around 150 euro which is maybe a 2* hotel in the popular areas. Then throw in all the wish list of it must be romantic and have views, no less, and this just isn't going to happen.

Here is a 4* hotel in the Latin Qtr (not a luxury hotel) with rooms with some views of Notre Dame and it's cheapest room at that time is around 225 euro http://www.rivesdenotredame.com

This is a nice 4* hotel in St Germain which has the cheapest rooms around 260 euro in May, I think it is romantic but there are no special views http://www.hotelabbayeparis.com/

This is a moderate 3* hotel with views of the Eiffel Tower that does have some rooms around 200 euro, but I wouldn't call the hotel at all romantic (nor luxurious, of course) http://www.hotel-splendid-paris.com
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM

Your "preferred" budget of $300 is about 215 euros, so you aren't going to find anything remotely "luxury" at that price point, anymore than you would get it in Manhattan.

At that price, I would see what the best room I could get at the Hotel Louis II in the 6th.
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Christina- Thank you for the information...Maybe I should have been a bit more descriptive. This is my first time to Europe and not knowing what things cost in general to what we like is a bit frustrating. The main part is that it is extreamly clean, nice and comfortable, close walking distance to cafe, restuarants sights etc...(i do understand that everything is not going to be within walking distance) and specially not a closet where you cannot even turn around in your room! Also trying to understand the different areas of Paris can be overwhelming. But I thank you for your advice!!
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

I am not necessarly set so much on price as I am on location, room size and it being clean! I didnt know if there was anything you could get for around $300 a night. But apparently I am out of the ball park here. Price really is not that much of a concern but would like a good deal as I dont need to send $1000 a night on a closet in a city that I dont plan on being in the room that much. Just want to know that when I return to my room after a long day my things are still there, its clean and comfortable.
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM

PS -- I didn't see Christina's response, but I agree with her.

I'd also look at 3 and 4* in the 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St Germain) areas. Although your money won't go as far there, if you are a first-timer, they are nice central areas. I like the location the Louis II a lot, a 3* in the 6th. www.hotel-louis2.com
Mar 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM

I recently stayed at hotel Louis II and the area is fantastic...so close to the Odeon Metro station and several great cafes and restaurants in the area. The hotel is nice, not luxury, but clean with a helpful staff. Doesn't hurt the Gerard Mulot is only a few blocks away and has great pain us chocolat.

The hotel is close to great shops and boutiques and Notre Dame is not far, Luxembourg Gardens is very close. Relais St Germain is close and nice, I think and more expensive. Also Odeon-St Germain also looks quite nice and it just down the street. Hotel Odeon is also there at the carrefour. All are worth checking out. St Sulpice is down the street if you are a Da Vinci Code fan.

My T/R has links to photos that show the neighborhood. (Christmas in Paris was fantastic).

We love the 6th and that little area is terrific.
Mar 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM

LAK1113: You will have no trouble finding a "nice, clean, comfortable" hotel for 215 euros or less. In fact, you don't have to pay that much even.

It's the "luxury" part that's a stretch - the high thread counts, plush towels, fawning service etc. that you get at a Four Seasons.

If room size is important to you, then imho, once you decide on your budget, don't go for the cheapest room at the nicest hotel, but the nicest room at the cheaper hotel. Room sizes in Paris are small, much smaller than what we are used to in the US, so go for a suite or a jr. suite.

If budget is not that big an issue for you, look at the Relais Christine and the Hotel D'Aubusson, both in the 6th.

www.relais-christine.com
www.hoteldaubusson.com
Mar 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM

How about throwing tradition out the window and saying at the Mama Shelter or the Kube? Shouldn't a honeymoon be out of the ordinary? You will have at least 5-6 years to experience normal nice hotels until the next marriage. ;-)
Mar 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM

Take a look at the Hotel du Danube on rue Jacob. The superior rooms are just about at your price point and it is a lovely hotel. Judge for yourself if the decor is what you like. The comfort rooms are a bit cheaper, but smaller. Only 2 of the superior roomss are air conditioned though - all of the comfort rooms are. The unairconditioned superior rooms face the courtyard. The location is excellent.
Mar 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM

hi LAK,

congrats.

on our last trip to Paris [we've been going on and off for 25 years or so] for the first time ever we stayed right in the centre, at the Hotel Britannique. http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/

what a revelation! we were only 50 yards from the nearest metro, walking distance to Notre Dame and the Seine, we could [and did] walk along the river after dinner and see the Eiffel Tower all lit up, wander over to the islands in the Seine, go a little further and walk through st. Germain, walk to the RER C to catch the train to Versailles, ...you get the idea.

the hotel is only 3 star, but we had a very comfortable room, with minibar, fruit bowl and tea/coffee making facilities, a terrific bathroom including bathrobes, and a balcony. all this for far less than €200 per night.
Mar 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM

Those are intriguing suggestions by Kerouac, that's for sure! Definitely liking the Ice Bar at the Kube -- just a small taste of the Icehotel in Sweden. The location is better than Mama Shelter -- shorter Metro ride to the attractions you'd likely want to see. And at 25 m/sq, the smallest room is a decent size (270 square feet -- not bad).

Contrary to the name, Mama Shelter is not a flophouse or halfway house. It's also near Pere Lachaise cemetery, which is a sightseeing destination itself. But it's a bit of a haul with Metro changes to Notre Dame, St. Germain, Musee d'Orsay and across town from the Eiffel Tower.
Mar 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm Happy Travels!
Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
mms

Another vote for the Britannique. We stayed there a couple years ago and had 2 rooms and both were very nice. One was small but the other was quite spacious. We had no complaints whatsoever. Loved the location too!
Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has given me some great information here. Although some of these hotels are already full for my time frame I do like the 5th and 6th area. My inlaws hs a friend who is a travel agent that gave us a recommendation for a hotel (which I think is in the 7th) HOTEL PONT ROYAL. Nice hotel but when I looked at it on google maps there really isnt much around it. Still struggling to find a place that is by restuarants and cafe's. Seems the things I look at are full. Example Britannique, Le Relais Saint Germain and I have looked at a few others that are nice but not near anything I would like to walk out the door and have a cafe etc...
Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM

I think you are looking for the classic St. Germain honeymoon experience. Just about all of the suggestions from above are excellent - all superior to the Hotel Pont Royal. The people around here KNOW Paris - much better than most travel agents. ANY of these would make for a wonderful saty - just pick one that suits your budget. To recap:

www.hotel-louis2.com
www.relais-christine.com
www.hoteldaubusson.com
www.paris-hotel-lutece.com
http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/
http://www.rivesdenotredame.com

The list above certain has something to suit you, but I'll throw in one more anyway:
http://www.bucihotel.com/

Search this Thread