Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DonnieB is a fraud hijacking this forum for free advertising. What a jerk!

Jan 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

In case you are looking for London hotel info, pay NO attention to the posts under the name DonnieB. DonnieB is a fraud trying to grab free advertising for a hotel booking service.
Jan 14th, 2004, 08:51 AM

The website takes you to the Red Carnation Hotels, all fairly expensive London hotels. I think I would be willing to give DonnieB the benefit of the doubt.

Six posts in two days hardly an advertising blitz makes.
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I'm with BTilke on this one. Whadyasay, Fodors? C'mon Grasshopper, you can't be that naive!
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Grasshopper - you can't be that gullible can you? Did you read Donnie's actual posts - he needs to write a novel instead of VERY unconvincing posts here.

(those 6 posts are his only ever posts and all tell about wonderful stays at all these London hotels - hardly likely)
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Six posts that say almost exactly the same thing and nothing else? No other posts on any subject EVER?
I understand individuals who mistakenly promote on ONE message (a couple at most) a vacation home they own and then stop immediately and apologize when the rules about no advertising are pointed out. That's happened here a few times. But these DonnieB posts are baloney and I have no patience for this kind of sleazy huckstering.
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:23 AM
ron

Fraud, hijacking, jerk, sleazy huckstering. Strong words, given that Donnie is not starting new threads, but simply posting to the too many threads that ask generally clueless and unanswerable questions about London hotels. He will soon get tired of it.
Jan 14th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Nothing wrong with BTilke sniffing out the frauds. And so quickly too!
JoeG
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Good work, BTilke, or should I say Sherlock? It's pretty obvious if you read more than 1 of his posts.
Jan 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Ron, DonnieB's reply to "Can anyone recommend a convenient, quaint, reasonably priced bed and breakfast?" made it clear he/she is trying to hijack this forum.

Strong words? Perhaps, but I think it shows how highly some of us feel about these forums. Plus it triggers something in those of us that hate Spam.

Keith
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I know it may seem trivial to some, but if advertising becomes easy on some public internet forums, it very quickly gets out of hand and then the ads overwhelm the site. Anyone who used to be on the public usenet sites knows that. Any forum with a lot of regular users is prime target, especially one with a focused target like this. One I thought was funny was some guy named Chris who worked for Flamingo Travel who came on Fodors and pretended he was just issuing customer raves of his own trips (where he was the travel agent). Unfortunately, he also did the same thing on another forum (Frommers) where he stupidly listed his real email address on AOL and then on AOL his profile said he was a travel agent at Flamingo Travel. What a dope.

That is one good thing about registration, some of the folks who used to advertise on here a lot are now gone (even ones who just constantly urged people to go to their web site or email them, acting as if they were just participating on the site).

Anyway, Btilke, aside from posting here, I suggest you email Fodors and ask them to cancel that screenname. They will respond to those kind of complaints fairly quickly and it is the best way to deal with it. YOu an find the Fodors email address in the FAQs or how to contact us or something.