Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Donna elvira. Have you ever been to Europe? I think you might be surprised if you did! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/donna-elvira-have-you-ever-been-to-europe-i-think-you-might-be-surprised-if-you-did-60871/)

Falcon Jan 26th, 2000 04:46 AM

Donna elvira. Have you ever been to Europe? I think you might be surprised if you did!

Frankly reality can be very different from reading about it in a book! just thought i'd say that so that you won't find it so much of a shock if you ever go!

Missed_Some Jan 26th, 2000 04:50 AM

Did I miss something somewhere?

elvira Jan 26th, 2000 04:52 AM

Self-medication can be very dangerous...

kathy Jan 26th, 2000 05:14 AM

Falcon, fly away! Scoot! Outta here!

MarkJ Jan 26th, 2000 06:23 AM

Message: Falcon <BR> <BR>Obviously you haven't spent much time reading this board. Bacause anyone who has knows that Elvira is one of it's most knowledgeable members and she is always happy to share her knowledge and advise with others. Donna too is always helpful and willing to share her knowledge with others. <BR> <BR>So drop the personal attacks (especially those that are groundless) and either become a helpful contributor to this BB or as Kathy says "fly away". <BR> <BR>MarkJ

Al Jan 26th, 2000 06:23 AM

Not that Elvira needs anybody running interference for her, but we have found that her postings are on the money, spicey, and carry the tang of authenticity. Does she have "attitude"? <BR>Yes, and we wish there were more like her!

Falcon Jan 26th, 2000 06:42 AM

This post is not a personal attack on elvira . Honest. And i am most sorry if that has upset some of you guys. Its just that I read some of her recent comments and got the impression she was looking at all things europe through 'rose tinted spectacles' that's all! I really thought she was in love with europe despite never having been there! <BR>

Lori Jan 26th, 2000 07:16 AM

I think Elvira has been to Europe a couple of times.............

Maira Jan 26th, 2000 08:31 AM

BOICOT FALCON! <BR> <BR>I am serious. His posts never contribute anything, but antagonism. Will somebody pass on to him/her The Lonely Planet website? Right down his alley...

elvira Jan 26th, 2000 09:10 AM

Seems interesting that falcon posts when school is out; home for a snow day, dude?

Andria Jan 26th, 2000 10:09 AM

Falcon, <BR> <BR>Boy oh boy, if that wasn't a personal attack, then I'm afraid I don't know what one is!!!! <BR> <BR>Didn't anyone teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all!? <BR> <BR>Negative attitudes were not solicited, my friend, so I suggest you take them somewhere else.

April Jan 26th, 2000 05:42 PM

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorn/ <BR>

rosie Jan 27th, 2000 05:57 PM

Everyone else has said, I will only add: I love coming to this website and reading "everyones" insites. But I can relate to YOU Elvira, because I travel very much like yourself. And your little treasures are so close to my way of thinking. Shall we have a "tick tock the game is locked falcon cannot play???" This person will be allowed back only if they have a positive input. <BR> <BR>RC

Donna Jan 27th, 2000 06:17 PM

If you're referring to me, I've made many trips to Europe, all preceeded by enormous research and planning. Once there, I pack as much as possible into each and every day. It's folks like you, though, that continuously make me wonder why I bother to take the time and effort to share my experiences, recommendations, and opinions on travel boards (I've been here and there in the US and Canada as well). Well, not really. I think I own nearly every tour guide ever published about Paris. Even so, Elvira is a greater resource than all of them put together for her personal opinions and recommendations. There is no question in my mind that she's actually been there a time or two. Although, I had read about half of them before our first trip. You may be amazed to know that far from being "shocked", I was astonished and amazed and impressed with everything I saw and experienced, and honored to have the opportunity to actually be there.

elvira Jan 28th, 2000 07:02 AM

From the Oxford Dictionary: <BR>fal-con ['fOlk@n] n. 1 any diurnal bird of prey of the family Falconidae, having long pointed wings, and sometimes trained to hunt small game for sport. <BR> <BR>Damn, Donna, we're small game.

Lori Jan 28th, 2000 07:45 AM

No No No Elvira - you HUNT small game. That means you are one of the big boys.

Tanyia Jan 28th, 2000 07:52 AM

I love the posts on this board. You can buy anyone of the hundreds of tour books that tell you to go to place x, but its the personal opinions that I find so fascinating. A place the book didn't highlight but that everyone thinks is wonderful will more than likely be a highlight of the trip!

kathy Jan 28th, 2000 08:09 AM

Ain't nooo way you two are small game, Elvira! You two soar with the eagles - could be that's what's bothering Falcon mmmmm? <BR> <BR>Elvira, this is probably a good time to thank you for sharing your off beat perceptions and experiences with us - about life and sites in Paris and other places too. Reading your right-on, unpredictible tongue-in-cheek responses are fun because they are contrary to the same-old, same-old blah, blah, blah. Yep! I absolutely luv your come backs! When I grow up, I want to be just like you ..... but I'm already grown up and a teeny bit older (I'm getting touchy about age this month)! Thanks, Elvira. I wish you continued good travels and await detailed reports Elvira-style of your sabatical in Paris. WOW! Hope you share some gems before our return visit in May.

cherie Jan 28th, 2000 09:36 AM

Elivra_ <BR>I positively love your posts. I have been spammed and jammed here a few times, too and can't quite understand why people bother. Some of the agent-types pat their backs trying to root out "advertisers" when we are merely giving heartfelt opinions on our perception of our travels. Sometimes, I think juvenile behavior is exhibited here....perhaps as someone above stated....when school is out for a day or two, we get barbed or baited. Oh well....I can travel whenever I want. Likewise, I am in control of choosing to post based on my interest in the topic. One of your postings on Paris was so "on target" that I felt like I was there just reading it. -Cher

elvira Jan 28th, 2000 11:12 AM

I made my first trip to Europe after college (gift from GramV), then I waited waaaaaay too long for the next trip. Before going to Paris for ten days, I had the great fortune to talk to a friend's sister who was living in Paris and engaged to a Frenchman, home to make some wedding arrangements. She gave me lots of great insight into the French and Parisians; many tips and tidbits to make my visit easy and fun. Her advice and counsel were so valuable that to not share things *I've* learned would be close to a mortal sin (God: "St Pete, when she gets here, let's tell her to go south yeah that's it we'll send her SOUTH That'll teach 'er not to share hope she brought a washcloth"). In return, I've gotten a lot of great info from the forum for current and future forays (the Loons don't know they're public fodder, and nobody better say anything). <BR>So, for everybody who posts helpful advice (positive or negative), here's two snaps up. For all those with those negatory vibrations, here's a big Bronx cheer.