Don't want to waste time!

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't want to waste time!

In such a marvelous place as London, so I thought I'd ask: if we arrive at the Thistle Westminster at say, 2:00 in the afternoon, and have tickets for the ballet at 7:30 that evening, what should we see that afternoon? I would love to go to a good fish and chips cafe in the afternoon, and then maybe walk to The Houses of Parliament and see it.....at least from the outside. Is that feasible? Anyone have a recommendation for a nearby casual restaurant, with good food? Or any other recommendations, where we could put our time to good use, but not get too "rushed!" Thanks very much.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM
jor

This Thistle Westminster sure has been getting a lot of attention lately. What's the deal?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hi
If you are arriving from the US by plane, then you will most likely be ready for a nap if you are going to the ballet that night.
I would recommend a walk, just walk through the neighborhood, see whatever you can but stay out in the fresh air, you will want to go back to the hotel and nap though. Otherwise you will not be able to enjoy the ballet for trying to stay awake!
The first time to London for me, I was too tired to walk around much but too excited to go nap, so we took a Double decker bus and just rode around the city. Got off and had tea in the afternoon, went back to the hotel and slept. You can probably have dinner after the ballet in the area.
Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Hi Harrie,

We did lots on our first day - it's a good plan. I hate wasting time too! The walking around idea is good. If it is a nice day (sunny), then walking around the House of Parliament and Westminster Abbey is a good idea because you can get good pictures. Another thought is to walk around Oxford St for shopping. Start at Leicester Square or Picadilly Circus and walk your way up the street for awhile. Or, you could walk around Covent Garden.

There really isn't anywhere that we found near Parliament to eat, however, there are lots of pubs near Covent Garden and Oxford Street (walk down some side streets to find ones that aren't so "touristy"). I don't eat fish, but my boyfriend only found one pub where the fish and chips was sub-par, he was happy everywhere else.

Also consider going on the London Eye - takes about 1/2 hour and gives nice views of the city. Might be a good first day kind of thing.

Hope this helps!
Karen
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Why does everyone want to nap when they get to Europe? What a waste. I wish people on this forum would stop assuming that everyone can't deal well with the jet-lag issue.

When I went to London 3 months ago, I got to my place to stay at 11am, after the overnight flight, and shopped and wandered around all afternoon, went out to dinner, then a pub, and went to sleep at 11pm that night. No nap needed.

Harrie, if you can sleep at all on the plane, you should be fine.

Karen
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated! I feel more confident now, that there's plenty I can do, and easily, on the first afternoon! I've read up on this jet lag business, (never having experienced it), and my plan is not to nap, unless I just absolutely have to, LOL! I would surely hate to fall asleep in the ballet, though. I'd never forgive myself! If I think it's going to come to that, I will just take a bit of a walk and then a nap, I believe. Otherwise, I'm going for the Westminster Abbey and House of Parliament! Then again, Oxford Street does sound good, LOL! Decisions!

The Thistle Westminster....I chose it because I was able to get what I think was a good deal, 80 pounds a night. That was maybe a month or two ago that I booked it. And I was glad to read just today some good feedback on it! The area seemed like a good one, too, not that I really know!

The London Eye.....well, I better look into it some more! I have the feeling it would freak me out, though!

Anyway, less than two weeks and I'm off. I absolutely can't wait!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For both Karen and Harrie, I'm happy for you perky folk who can get of the plane running BUT some people suffer terribly with jetlag (me being one of them, no tricks work, can't sleep on planes, and i stumble around like a zombie the 1st few days of every Euro-trip)... but don't worry you'll KNOW when you arrive which side you're on ;-)
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Even if you do suffer jet lag, taking a nap is a terrible idea for most folks. It only makes it harder for your body to get on local time. Stay outside. The fresh air and light exercise is really helpful. But don't over do it.

I usually recommend not going to a concert/ballet/play the first night. That is simply because many (but not all, kaudrey ;-) ) people do start to sag after about 8 or 9 PM the first day.

But it isn't impossible. Do cut back on the alcohol during the flight and on the first day and try to get some sleep on board. It helps a LOT.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Since I am not an old coot yet and we go to Europe or other long trips each year, I can only go by my own experience. I don't really sleep on overnight flights. I might doze, but there is no rest and I get off the plane, red eyed and dopey.
By 2:00-3:00 in the afternoon, I am incapable of deciding if I should just stand on the sidewalk or lie down in a park. So for me, an afternoon nap works, I make sure that I get up at dinner time and go out and eat and walk around before going back to bed.
I always wake up the next day early and ready for action!
I also never book a concert/play etc for the first night.
I always envy the people who hit the ground running and don't need to catch up. I am just not one of them~
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I'll definitely have to come back here and let you all know how it did actually work for me! I do agree, the theater the first night really isn't that sensible, but the one I want to see is only that night, that's it, and I've just GOTTA!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Where you depart from in the US has a significant difference on jetlag. From Boston, New York, Newark to London is less of a stress on the system than Dallas or Phoenix.

On previous trips from Boston in the last 6 years, we've been able to rent a car at Heathrow, do Windsor Castle and continue to Salisbury; rent at Gatwick, visit Avebury and on to Cirencester; rent at Heathrow, go to Westonbirt Arboretum and on to a B&B in Cheddar. All without feeling unduly tired.

This year we flew to Glasgow which added about 3 hours to our transit time (1 3/4 hours at Heathrow plus time in the air) and I was ready to collapse by midafternoon. Those extra few hours were immensely draining (or maybe it's the extra years).

Perhaps those who ask the questions and comment on jet lag should note where the flights originate.

In any case, I would suggest that any evening activity on the first day be an active one (and cancelable). Snoring during Swan Lake won't endear you to the rest of the audience.

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:18 PM

The Albert Pub and Restaurant is within walking distance of Westminster Abbey. You can have fish and chips, etc., downstairs or go upstairs for the carvery (buffet). It was recommended to me by Ben Haines who said he found it through a Fodorite post.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:51 PM

The Albert Pub is on Buckingham Gate, it is excellent!
We stayed at the St James Hotel one year and had our first nights dinner there..the tour buses had just pulled out and it was fairly quiet and the food was very good.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Fish and Chips: Check out
Cheap Eats in London by Sandra A. Gustason (book).....listed in book:
The Fryer's Delight...19 Theobald Rd.
Bloomsbury, WC1...very local...no decor.

Sure on the Houses of Parliament...just get off at Westminster Sta. and walk around....It is also great at night, when there are no crowds around.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I didn't see the last few replies before! I definitely do NOT want to snore during the ballet, LOL, even if it isn't Swan Lake! I'll be flying from Chicago, flight time 8 hours. Hopefully, it won't be too bad! The Albert Pub sounds like a plan, and so does The Fryer's Delight. We won't be there that long, and I definitely want "local."

Many thanks to all who replied. What a great place this is!