Don't pack your camera

Search

Don't pack your camera

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't pack your camera

This is just a warning: don't pack your camera----or anything else you care about---- in your suitcase. My husband did, and the camera was stolen. My husband shouldn't have packed it, but he had other stuff to carry on. He had packed his camera before, so he thought it was safe. His bag was "lost", and didn't show up for a whole day while the airline couldn't find it. When it finally showed, the camera was gone----a whole digital outfit with extra lenses, extra card, tripod, etc. $1200 worth of stuff. The airline claims no responsibility, and says "Sorry 'bout that". We are just out of luck. We can't make a claim on our Homeowners', because it will drive up our premiums. I would love to think that sharing this story prevents someone else out there from losing their valuables. We seriously think this is a scam, where the suitcase is routed all over the place just to cover up the location where the theft took place.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:41 PM

That sucks. I would never put a camera in a suitcase, especially sisnce you can't lock them anymore.

BTW, how much could your homeowners insurance go up for a $1200 claim? I've made claims for about that much and my premium didn't go up at all.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:15 PM
lyb

This is too bad it happened, but let me be a little mean -- why would anybody pack anything of any great value in a suitcase?!?!? That's a no brainer, you NEVER do that!

I do apologize for my response, but I guess it's good you posted this so that if anybody has a moment of "no thinking", you have reminded them.

Once again, I do feel sorry for you, but you did set yourself up for such a disaster! The golden rule is NEVER check in any valuables!!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:24 PM

I'll bet all the baggage handlers threw a party the day they found out that people weren't allowed to lock their luggage and that they couldn't claim responsibility anywhere (airlines, insurance, etc) if stuff got stolen.

That camera is probably in some cheezy pawn shop somewhere out there...
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:35 PM

Our luggage has been delayed more than 48 hours THREE times in the past two years (all on Air Canada, the bas*ards, and no, we don't fly them any more), so whenever we fly, we always pack our carryons first with the stuff that we'd be the most upset about losing forever (none of that practical change-of- clothes-and-toothbrush for us!!).

That being said, we do shop a lot on vacations, and can't put everything in our carryons, so we do need to check some stuff (although never any electronics) on the return. My point (believe it or not, there is one coming) is that we've also learned to keep all of our receipts from anything we purchased (and keep them WITH US), because our credit card offers lost replacement value for lost luggage (the airlines typically offer this, too). They have set limits but it will be much, much easier if you have some reciepts.

Also, if your luggage IS delayed, don't forget to push the airline for how much they will reimburse for purchases while you're waiting for luggage - I always thought it would be toothpaste-level reimbursement, but they gave me a limit of $250 US.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:58 PM
TC

I think the biggest scam here is the fact that we pay insurance premiums to the hilt for years and years and then are afraid to make one claim because the rats will jack up our premium amount. Doesn't that sound like a one-way street to you?

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure you have learned (and taught) a valuable lesson, but you should dump your insurance company!
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Anyone who puts anything valuable in checked luggage, especially with the new "no lock" rules, is a gambler.

I find it very hard to believe your airline will not accept a claim. I'm a professional traveler and every incident I've endured in the past 20 years was settled via a letter to the appropriate representative if that's how far I had to go. There is no way I would let any airline get away with that behavior.

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Thank you, chicgeek, for posting this. We all need to be reminded from time to time.

I have a fairly large backpack and all my indispensables go with me on the plane in the backpack, even purchases abroad.

My check in suitcase contains all the nonessentials, like clothes, bulky med kit items and toiletries, such as toothpaste, - hey I can always get another tube of toothpaste! And the clothes are usually old or cheap clothes, so that if they are lost or stolen, so what...

It's a good idea, as one poster has put it, not to "gamble" with anything you want to keep.

Stay vigilant and happy travels!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I find it tragic that one has to pack "old crap" because nobody wants to take any responsibility for thieving baggage handlers. It's the victim's fault. Yeah, yeah.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM

File an insurance claim. Your rates are only raised if there are x number of claims in x amount of time. And as someone else said, I am sorry for your loss but geeze, what were you thinking.
and in fact, since you undoubtedly got it at a sale price, you get to quote the list price and will make a profit or upgrade.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that.

Re: <i>The airline claims no responsibility, and says &quot;Sorry 'bout that&quot;.</i>

I'm not sure I've ever actually read the fine print on tickets. Does it state that airlines are not responsible for items which end up missing from checked baggage? If so, then I guess that's something we all agree to, whether we know it or not, when we purchase our tickets.

Re: <i>We can't make a claim on our Homeowners', because it will drive up our premiums.</i>

Well, you &quot;can&quot; make a claim. It's just that, as with many things in life, there's a trade-off. No reimbursement but also no increase in premiums vs. remimbursement but an increase in premiums. Like Mark, though, I wonder just how much premiums would increase for a $1200 claim? Also, as Gretchen noted, premiums are, <i>generally</i>, only raised if there are x number of claims in x amount of time.

Lillehavfrue, re: <i>I'll bet all the baggage handlers threw a party the day they found out that people weren't allowed to lock their luggage and that they couldn't claim responsibility anywhere (airlines, insurance, etc) if stuff got stolen.</i>

Now now, don't be <i>that</i> cynical. Some baggage handlers, perhaps. But all? All baggage handlers aren't crooks, and neither (fortunately) are all CEOs. There are ethical, and unethical, blue-collar and white-collar workers (and it was once sagely noted that a white-collar worker can likely rip off more people for more money than a blue-collar worker can.)

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Nice work, Capo!

It's true, each airline offers fine print regarding a lost bag claim and/or a stolen item claim. It is the smart traveler's responsibility to stay informed and know his/her rights before making a costly judgement call. I'd still raise hell with the airline's CEO and wouldn't quit until fair restitution was made. Writing well-written complaint letters has ALWAYS worked for me. I've received two free tickets in the past because some idiot actually had the nerve to mess with me.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM
gb

We had one $1000 claim (last year)in 14 years and the company cancelled our home owners insurance. No lie.