Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Domestic to International flight connection in Athens

Domestic to International flight connection in Athens

Jan 5th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Domestic to International flight connection in Athens

We have a domestic flight from Santorini to Athens, which is designed to meet up with an international flight to Istanbul. Is the same airport used and is there any conceivable hassle in this connection ?
Jan 5th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Yes flights from Athens to Constantinople leave from the same airport your flight from Santorini come to.

You do not say when you will travel but if bad weather delay the flight you will have trouble.

I think you be with Olympic if connecting and they have more delays than Aegean Air who fly same route.

Can you change flight from island to very early same day or travel 24 hours early back to Athens?

Thanos
Jan 6th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanos, its the first time I have seen Istanbul called Constantinople (hey there might be a song in that ). We have an early flight with Aegean before connecting with a lunchtime flight to Ist. We will be travelling in the middle of April.
Jan 6th, 2004, 10:47 AM

From very small I am in family who call it Constantinople and never Istanbul. I think maybe young Greek people using Istanbul. My grandfather call it Poli and never anything else. Lots of names

I see that Olympic use Istanbul name in the website but please remember that at airport departure notice it could show as flight to Constantinople. When I was at airport three month ago I see it show like that. You do not need to miss your plane!

I think Aegean will may be on time better than Olympic but still not a bad idea to travel to Athens the day before depart.

Thanos
Jan 11th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

My travel agent now tells me we will have 1.50 hours between arrival from Santorini and departure to Istanbul(constantinople).....TOO tight ???
Jan 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Marko, unfortunately in Greece majority of flights from the island do not depart on time and there is never guarantee that you will get on your flight even with reservation. Do not risk especially connecting with international flight. Thanos' suggestion to arrive in Athens 1 day before is the best approach. Also you need to remember that Easter is on April 11th so traveling in mid-April could be very hectic and frustrating. Spend your last night in Greece in Athens. I bet your agent never traveled in Greece around Easter time.
Have a great time in Greece which we adore and hope to visit again very soon.
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Jan 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM

WE flew from Crete to Rome, changing planes in Athens, and had absolutely no problem making a 45 minute connection. The early morning flight from Chania was on time.
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Not only our plane from Santorini was 2 hours late but it was overbooked. We arrived in Athens four hours later than scheduled. It may be different in your case but I wouldn't even think about such short connection in Greece.
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Stay in Athens for 1 night

Search this Thread