Domestic flight cancelled, what now?

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Domestic flight cancelled, what now?

For upcoming trip to Turkey, I have been trying to make arrangements for airport transfers to hotels. From one of the shuttle services I learned our flight out of Cappadocia to Antalaya on Turkish Air has been cancelled. I did use a travel agent to purchase the tickets and have contacted him about rescheduling, but I am getting too antsy waiting for his reply.

Does anyone know what happens when fights are cancelled? Do they have to put us on the next available flight? Do we have to pay any difference? I bought the tickets early and they seem to be much more expensive now.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM

Generally, airlines have to put you on the next available flight. NO, you shouldn't have to pay extra, otherwise it would be meaningless. Now that is the usual deal, but who knows what kind of regulations governs local flights in Turkey. I would still think they'd have to get you a trip, as it seems hard to believe any airline could take your money and then just cancel the flight and give you nothing in return. I'm sure that can't be legel, even in Turkey (pretty sure). YOu could also complain to a credit card for nondelivery of services for that one.

The problem with some of the local flights is they don't run that often and have small planes, so the next available flight could be a ways off.

I've only had flights cancelled within Europe on a British airline, and they just automatically put me on another flight (which I didn't care for) but I picked out one with a different schedule I preferred, and they then put me on that one. There was no cost at all.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
J62

Turkish airlines is a Star Alliance member, so I certainly expect that they conform to international norms when it comes to canceled flights.

I see on Turkish air website 6 flights a day from Kayseri (ASR) to Antalaya (AYT), all connecting through Istanbul (IST), so there are plenty of options. If you are using Nevsehir (NAV) airport then I only see 1 flight a day.

If your TA isn't replying, then that's between you and your travel agent. Firstly I'd say it's up to him to fix this to your satisfaction.

You should inform yourself of flight options using the turkish air website, or a search engine like www.kayak.com, as it sounds like you've used a 2nd rate TA if he's not getting back to you promptly.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Haven't heard back yet from TA, but it is still less than 24 hours since I contacted him. It also appears that the flight out of AYT has been cancelled. Flights are significantly higher, so as long as I can get other flights at no added cost, all should be fine. Will be in high state of anxiety until getting flights settled.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Just to follow up....after lots of back and forth, finally received tickets yesterday. The lesson I learned here is that in the future, I will make my own airline reservations and not go thru travel agent.