Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dolphin Square Hotel London - From Priceline.com

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:32 AM
David

I used priceline.com and asked for a 4* hotel in London next week and got the Dolphin Square Hotel for $60 U.S. per night (plus $10 bonus money which priceline adds to the bid as a current promotion). This rate seems too good to be true. I understand that it is in a residential area. Is the hotel very inconveniently located? Is it decent quality?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:27 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

David-
My family (16 of us) stay at the Dolphin Square last year. It is very nice. We had a suite with a sitting area and huge bathroom. They have a pool and gym. Also there is a large garden which we didn't really explore (it was March). It is a couple of blocks to the Underground so it isn't that out of the way. It is near the Tate which of course was closed the weekend we were there. Across the street is a school, on the other side of the school is a little Spanish restaurant which was very good for lunch. Have fun.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:22 AM
janis

Dolphin Square is great. Three quarters of it are upscale private apartments and about 1/4 is an apartment hotel. It is in Pimlico, walking distance to the Pimlico Tube station. The only drawback is that only the Victoria Line goes thru Pimlico so you do often need to change lines at Victoria or Green Park stations. But that isn't bad and you'll soon get the hang of it. Just avoid Victoria during the commute rush hours - it is a madhouse.

You will be walking distance to Tate Britain, be practically on the river, and very close to Chelsea. There are some good restaurants in the area and it is a very quiet and safe neighborhood. St Georges Square is a large garden square about a block away. And there are execellent bus connections on nearby Lupus Street. (The preschool Princess Diana worked at is just across the road and Princess Anne used to keep a flat at Dolphin Square for her and her husband to use when they were in London.)

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:32 AM
des1ree

David, did you have to open up a separate account for a London request? When I went to Priceline to put in a bid for a London room, it would not give me a choice for anything outside US. And then when I clicked on the Priceline for UK, it did not have any record of my account.
Thanks.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:35 AM
janis

That Spanish Restaurant mentioned above is called Goya and is a real find. It has a nice restautant downstairs - but on the street level is a tapa bar that is really good and stays open late. So if you are going to the theatre and need to eat afterwards, take the tube back to Pimlico and walk down to Goya. Then you only have a two block walk back to your hotel. Much better than fighting the crowds near the theatres.

There is a really good Indian restaurant - I can't remember the name - just around the corner from Goya. NOT the takeout places on Lupus street.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:39 AM
sonia

David, go for it!
We have stayed at Dolphin Square several times. Love the convenience of our own kitchen and the shops downstairs for groceries etc. -- saves a lot when you can eat breakfast in your "flat," specially if you have children along. The buildings surround a lovely internal garden where you can walk or sit and contemplate the fountain. There's a spa where you can have a massage or other nice treatments. Staff are all very accomodating and friendly.

Not sure if it's still there, but on our last visit Gary Rhodes of food-tv fame was getting ready to open a restaurant there.

We paid a LOT more for our rooms, so next time I'll be checking Priceline -- sounds like you found a great deal. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:42 AM
David

Des1ree: This was the first time that I ever used priceline, so I just opened an account as part of the bidding process. I entered the site through a bonus money link that I found on www.biddingfortravel.com which added $10 per night to my bid. There was a button to choose Europe and then a drop down menu to choose the cities. I think I had a choice of London-Central or London-Heathrow and chose central. Then there were a number of zones to choose from in London.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. The few times I have been in London previously I have spent at least three times the money for mediocre 3 star hotels. It really does sound like I got a great deal here.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Marcia

David, You got the deal of the century! We are going to London next week. Our friend who resides at the Dolphin Sqare booked our room. They give a "special deal" to residents and its 60 pounds a night. Have a good trip!