Dolomites or Dordogne in May?

Mar 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Dolomites or Dordogne in May?

I'm asking about this WAY in advance since I'm referring to next May, but my husband and I would like to take a weeklong vacation and are considering either the Dolomites or the Dordogne, as we have never been to either location. I assumed that the weather would be okay until I read a post about things in the Dolomites still being shut down in June because of the cooler temps. Is this true? We prefer to travel during off-peak months but I certainly don't want everything closed. We were in the Berchtesgaden region in May a few years back and it was fine so I assumed the Dolomites would be as well. Is this wrong? We were planning on doing some hiking.

Would the Dordogne be a better location in May?

Thanks!
Tracy
Mar 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Tracy, The GO-family have done both in recent years. Look at their private web page to see trip reports at:
www.onelittleworld.com

May in any of the Alps is off season and has some mud in the hiking areas.
Mar 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM

We've been to both regions - 3 nights in the Dolmites & 10 weeks in the Dordogne. My wife still reminds me of the dozens & dozens of pictures I took in the Dolimites - and I'm not even the picture taker in the family. Really beautiful. If mountain hiking is your main event, then the Dolmites would be a great choice.

However, I think there is a larger variety of things to do & see in the Dordogne - but no Dolmites type mountains. We were in the Dordogne in late June last year (2 weeks), and it was not crowded at all - no problems with restaurant reservations, and cities & villages were uncrowded if you don't try to visit them (Domme, for example) between about 11:30 & 4PM. Our closest friends visited us there for about a week, and they hiked & bicycled all day long - exclusively south of the Dordogne river near Cenac - where there is less road traffic. They hiked a GR past several of the Chateaux - where they stopped to have lunch.

Stu Dudley
Mar 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM

The Dolomites are pretty dead in May because it is between the seasons. The lifts are usually off service for maintenance.
Mar 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I think for that time of year the Dordogne is a better option. My wife and I were in Burgundy last April and we had a great time. I enjoyed the Dordogne in the spring about three years ago even more. Lots of history and pretty villages. I would get reservations for Font du Game and see some of the worlds best cave paintings that can be visited. Rocamadour is very unique. Saturday market in Sarlatt is a lot of fun. Great area of France with lots to see and do. Every day there is an outdoor market in some village.
Mar 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM

For May - the Dordogne (though I agree the Dolomites are gorgeous).
Mar 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Hi Tracy, I have never been in the Dolomites in May, only in August and part of September. But I do know many Italian friends that live in Northern Italy, some whom have summer homes in the Dolomites. They go to the Dolomites during the winter time and then not until mid June or July (those that are not working) so I can only assume that May is not their ideal time to visit or stay in their summer homes. I have never specifically asked them that question however.
Mar 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts. As much as I would love to go to the Dolomites, I think it may be best to put it off until we can visit during a more ideal time. I don't really want to experience mud, and I'm worried about the lifts being closed down.

We have been wanting to visit the Dordogne since reading a few trip reports several years ago. We also enjoy just walking and biking, in addition to visiting pretty villages, so I'm sure we will have a good time.

Thank you all again!
Tracy