Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dolomites or Amalfi Coast in October - what to choose? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dolomites-or-amalfi-coast-in-october-what-to-choose-730272/)

Shiriw Aug 19th, 2007 07:42 PM

Dolomites or Amalfi Coast in October - what to choose?

I origially planned to spend 4 nights (out of a 21 night trip to Italy) in the Lake Garda/Dolomites area, but now I'm not so sure, since I fear it might be too cold for our 16 month old toddler (we're Floridians). So now I'm debating between spending those 4 nights/5 days on the Amalfi coast. It will be warmer there, and I suppose I will get more of a feel for Italy than in the more Austrian/German influenced Dolomites. And I'm afraid that alot of places will be closed up north in October. On the other hand I love being in the mountains and doing hiking trails (we've already been to the Alps in Switzerland, and the southern alps of New Zealand - which we found breathtaking). And yet we will already be in Cinque Terre and maybe some other towns off the coast of Tuscany, which I think will give us a taste of the coastal towns. Its so hard to choose!

Here is what our itinerary looked like before Doubt snuck up on me:
1. Venice - 3 nights
2. Dolomites /Lake Garda (with a stop in Verona on the way) - 4 nights
3. Cinque Terre (with a drive through Pisa) - 2 nights
4. Florence/Tuscany/Umbria - 7 nights (with a base in Tuscany).
5. Rome - 5 nights

Now I'm thnking I should add the Amalfi Coast and cut the Dolomites and Cinque Terre (since the Amalfi Coast will make up for it):

1. Venice - 3 nights
2. Florence/Tuscany/Umbria - 7 nights (with a base in Tuscany).
3. Amalfi Coast -4 nights
4. Rome - 5 nights

Since I cut the Cinque Terre, that actually leaves me with an extra 2 nights which I could either add to the amalfi coast or to Tuscany.
Which Itinerary would you choose?
Thanks for your help!

Steve_James Aug 20th, 2007 04:18 AM

Hi Shiriw - Autumn days in the Dolomites can be lovely - you could be lucky.

But if warmth is the deciding factor, Amalfi wins of course.

Which to choose? Both are lovely itineraries.
You're on a winner either way ...

Steve

ira Aug 20th, 2007 04:57 AM

Hi S,

Early or late Oct?

((I))

Shiriw Aug 20th, 2007 06:28 AM

I will be in Italy from October 8th -30th. Which means I will be in Dolomites from October 11-15. If I do Amalfi coast it will be around the 20th to the 25th

Shiriw Aug 20th, 2007 07:14 AM

Steve,
btw, warmth is not the deciding factor for us just one of the things to consider. Do you know how cold it gets? I've searched the net but can't find the temps for Mid-October.

bfrac Aug 20th, 2007 07:17 AM

Shiriw, check www.weatherunderground.com. Go to trip planner and type in your destination and dates. It will give you a weather history going back 10 years.

Shiriw Aug 20th, 2007 11:01 AM

Bfrac, Thanks that was very handy. Looks like it won't be too cold, 80% chance of 60 degrees F, in Mid October. Still haven't decided which to choose, though!

Shiriw Aug 20th, 2007 04:24 PM

Does anyone else have an opinion?