Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dolomites & Venice for a week in late October

Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of taking my two boys aged 11 & 15 away on my own at October half term, which is the last week of October going into the start of November. Was thinking as follows :-

Fly into Venice airport, pick up a hire car and drive to Dolomites. From limited research I've done, stop in Val Gardena area, possibly Ortisei and use this as a base, as this is quite a large town and very close to the Alpe di Siuisi cable car that will still be open until 3/11/19.

Spend four days in the Dolmites hopefully hiking, sightseeing, touring around in car and taking in some of the spectacular mountain passes.

Then head back to Venice airport, drop off the car and spend two full days sightseeing in Venice

Just want some general advice, lots of questions/concerns

Is Val Gardena a good base for touring the Dolomites?

Would you recommend at this time of year, due to the weather and it being end of season. Will most hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions etc be closed?

I'm concerned about the roads and chance of snow, especially at higher altitudes on the mountain passes, is the chance of snow a strong possibility? Just don't want to find myself in difficult driving conditions in a foreign country with the two boys and just myself.

I'm aware that it is generally cooler in October and will need to bring all weather gear, but would you generally recommend against this time of year and save the trip for another time between April -September?

Is there a risk at this time of year of Venice being badly flooded? I've read in a few places that the waters start to rise and come up in the streets about November.

Any travel advice, hikes, places to visit, recommendations on places to stay for both Dolomites and Venice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for the replies
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 06:49 PM

No one can accurately predict weather in the Dolomites or acqua alta in Venice for a trip nearly a month from now.

We've been to both the Dolomites and Venice in the last two weeks of October, and in neither place did the weather seriously impact our sightseeing. However, in the Dolomites, some restaurants and hotels and almost all chairlifts were closed. We had only a few sprinkles of rain, and the temps were perfect for hiking. Early sunset (about 5:00 p.m.) was the main limit on hiking.

In the Dolomites, I would first identify lodging in an area where hiking wouldn't be very lift dependent. We've stayed in Ortisei, Cortina, Bolzano and Brunico. Dining options were somewhat limited at that time of year in all but Bolzano, and I'm fairly certain the lift in Bolzano is open year-round. (As an aside, your sons might enjoy the Ice Man Museum in Bolzano. I highly recommend it.)

Acqua alta in Venice is the result of several things happening at the same time. High tides, low atmospheric pressure, wind coming off the Adriatic, sometimes heavy rain. Higher tides occur at the new and full moons, and there will be a new moon on Oct. 28 at 4:38 a.m. Areas near Piazza San Marco are the lowest and more impacted by flooding than the area around the train station and parts of the Santa Croce and San Polo areas. (See map at link below.)

https://acqualta.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/aqua.jpg
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 09:46 AM

as above:
weather is always unpredictble in the Alps.Snowfall in the last week of October is very unusual but cannot be completely excluded.
But that would affect the mountain passes and NOT the main acces roads from Venice to Ortisei, Cortina d'Ampezzo or so.
Bolzano/Bozen could be a lively base for day trips by car into the mountain valleys. But the latter are not really deserted off season as local people live there all the year round.
From Ortisei, you can easily drive to 3 different alpine passes, if you want to hike in high areas.