Reload this Page >

Dollars for Cocktails on International?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Marlena

I just got back from Europe a couple of months ago and the flight attendant stated we were the last flight that would not be charged for drinks.. Any truth to this? I'll be broke before the flights done.....

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:37 PM
steve

tell me it's not true!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:57 PM
janis

Several airlines are now charging for alcohol in coach. But some are still pouring for free. (But that alcohol REALLY makes jet lag worse so you should cut back anyway)

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Patrick

Speak for yourself, Janis. I used to try to do the healthy crossing and avoided alcohol. Horrible jet lag. Now I have a couple of cocktails, wine with dinner, and an after dinner cordial, and I sleep like a baby for the next 5 hours or so. No jet lag!!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:39 AM
xxx

I flew mid-September and they were charging then - $4 for wine.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Gretchen

Domestic carriers are charging $4 for alcoholic drinks in coach.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
s

I just came back from London last week (coach class, United Airlines) and cocktails were free.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Mel

In October, drinks in cattle were still free on British Airways.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Ronda

On our flight from returning from Europe on November 9, American had just reinstituted charging for alcohol in coach due to current economic conditions.<BR><BR>What I thought was REALLLY tacky on American was the making of an announcement that toilets in the back of 1st class and front of coach were for 1st class passengers only. Not only did the stewardess make the announcement but the PILOT!! Come on, doesn't the pilot have more to think about than coach passengers sneaking into 1st class toilets! I thought it was very very very tacky.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Susan

We flew to Paris on US Air the last week in Sepember and it was $4.00 for wine.<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Howard

Wine was free on Alitalia 3 weeks ago.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Book Chick

Howard, I flew Delta on my last trip to/from Rome, and while I did not drink on the way there, I did have wine on the way back &amp; it was a freebie!<BR><BR>BC

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Kathleen

I flew Continental mid-October to CDG, and they were charging for cocktails, etc. So much for the wine with dinner...

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:28 AM
xxx

Depends on the airline but as a general rule, the American carriers are charging (Delta just began, Continental, US Air, American) while for the most part the foreign airlines are still free.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Mary

Ronda;<BR><BR>They mentioned the bathroom because they are seeing it as a possible security breach issue. They told us that if you did &quot;move forward&quot; to use the first class bathrooms, the flight attendents would use force to stop you.<BR>They just want to be able to keep track of passangers.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:43 AM
x

Won't you have to &quot;move forward&quot; to come back from cattle class restrooms? How can they tell who's coming back and who's going forward?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Mike

I'm flying Lufthansa in February? Do they still serve free cocktails?<BR><BR>The alcohol is a nice perk for the nominal charge. For example, they pour the wine from liter bottles with screw tops. Jug wine is not very expensive, don't you think? Also, they serve their liquor from liter off-brand bottles, not the mini-shots. The cost is probably not more than a few cents over the cost of soft drinks.<BR><BR><BR><BR>