Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dollar rate today? 1.54 or 1.56? Which one?

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

I checked xe.com and its 1.56 but on Oanda.com and Bloomberg.com its at 1.54. Of course, I hope its the latter.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:41 AM

1.545. It's easter, no trading today. Will go down to 1.53 after the holidays, befor it'll quickly pass 1.60.
Need more info?
Burger King accepts $ at 1.55, you can live comfortably in Europe with only USD, if you always eat at BK.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM

Logos, Shouldn't you be looking for your Osternest?

Frohe Ostern!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi T,

If you bought 10,000E, the difference would be $200.

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

I am not so concerned about two cents for any immediate travel, its just that I would like to see the dollar strengthen as would many of us US travellers to Europe.
Logos, could you rephrase what you are trying to say?
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM

>Shouldn't you be looking for your Osternest?
Shortly

>rephrase
Dollar now = 1.545
tomorrow = 1.535
next week = 1.60

Burger King has the best rate, you just have exchange $$ into Burgers.
Burgers not yet accepted as currency in Europe.

Oh well, since its Easter Sunday, let me tell you how the "Burger King exchange office" works. You take 50 or 100 bucks to buy a whooper and fries, you will get your meal and the rest in €, at the rate of 1.55. No other fees.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
ira

Hi L,

Can I just buy the fries, or do I have to get the burger, too?

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM

Yes, fries only should work, but don't forget to use the coupons. You'll get two whoppers for the price of one. Anyway a good idea to get rid of surplus dollars.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Whatever, Logos, whatever! Who there right mind would want to eat at Burger King while in Europe or in the States even? I never eat that type of food so why would I ever do so in Europe? How are you so sure that the dollar will reach 1.60? Remember what goes around comes around and what go up, comes down. Eventually, your euro will drop.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Meant to say" Who in their right mind?"
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM

>so why would I ever do so in Europe?
Maybe, because you can change $ there at a good rate. If you worry about the difference between 1.54 and 1.56, you'll worry even more about your money when you're in Europe.

>Eventually, your euro will drop.
Ain't going to happen, read the news. It's not the € that is strong, it's the USD that is weak. It's "near criminal" politics that destroy the value of the USD for good. You can't do a thing about it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Logos, I already stated that its not the 2 cents that I am worried about. Its that I want to see the dollar stregthen. I would rather go to a market and buy something there than to eat at Burger King or McDonalds. I hate fatty and fried foods.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM

>want to see the dollar stregthen.
Well, then wait for the next life.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:52 AM

Logos
Although I agree with you about the $ being the low currency. People should look at the price of Gold. This is quoted in Dollars and it looks like the Gold is shooting up. Actually the Dollar is shooting down.

Maybe it will return (the $) but the politicians have a different mentality.

travelme:
Have a little thought about the expats who are living on a US Dollar pension. There are a lot here which cringe each day's exchange rate. They're not expecting to positive chages too soon. So, if you want to travel to visit Paris, it's the best time for the next five years.

Blackduff
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM

>look at the price of Gold
Agreed 100%. I'm just not sure, if gold is a good investment. Many countries can decide to sell as much gold as they like (and own) anytime, so you depend on their mercy.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

"So, if you want to travel to visit Paris, it's the best time for the next five years."

Really, why is that?

Logos, your smugness is anything but charming! Actually, its pretty clear that your intention is to be antagonistic. This is evident in all your posts. But I don't think many take you seriously. As Simon Cowell would say, "Sorry".

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:55 AM

The point that Ira makes is on target for me. Even if the dollar fell 10% it would not raise my travel cost as much as groceries are going up. Plus, I buy my plane ticket in dollars in any case.

American salaries were for decades higher than much of Europe, let alone the world. It has cost us jobs. The dollar's current slip has cost us a little purchasing power (fairly, across all income levels, not just the hourly rate worker) but may be a long run benefit to our economy.

I can scrimp a little on vacation and perhaps cut it short a day if it will help the economy overall.

I thought that Logos answers were about right for the question.

Regards, Gary
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM

Europe would like to see the dollar strengthen as well. A weak US economy affects European businesses too.

Don't be too hard on Logos. The guys got a heart of gold (es ist ihm nicht wurst!) and displays a sense of German irony similar to CW's British irony.

Welcome to the European experience on Fodor's board.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM

travelme
I wrote about the five year etc..

My reason is that the Dollar is cyclical. It's going south against the euro and it's not going to flip-flop in a few weeks.

We have buyers and sellers in the US. When the Dollar is high, the sellers want the Dollar to drop.

An example would be Boeing. Selling airplanes are sold in US Dollars. Right now their aircraft are cheap. They want this cost to stay cheap for a few more years. Boeing is one of the top exporters in the US. It's good for America, if this Dollar is low.

The tourists were happy when the Dollar was strong but it's not necessary a good thing for Boeing. Lots of workers got laid off and overall Airbus was taking away the backorder in Seattle. Of course the buyers who were happy to buy BMWs and Volvos~they're cheap.

Anyway, it's cyclical and it will take a time for the lows to move up.

So, I think that the Dollar against the Euro will continue the spiral. It's going to take five years to swing things around. Half of the companies which export are hoping for this continuation.

Then, maybe I'm wrong. We're having a new President soon and things will change. But the new President will take some time to shift the Dollars upwards.

Blackduff
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM

It is not 1.56 on xe.com, it is 1.545, so perhaps you were just reading the site wrong. Rates change all the time, every day, within a small margin, anyway. Depending on how a website calculated it and which rate they are using, and how often they update, that difference wouldn't mean anything to me, regardless.

I don't know why it would be best to visit Paris within the next five years.

I don't feel remotely sorry for ex-pats who choose to live abroad, no one held a gun to their head and forced them to do that. They did it willingly, presumely knowing that the value of the USD can always vary against some foreign currency. I don't know anyone who can afford to live abroad with solely a "pension" and no other source of income, such as investments. I don't even know anyone hardly who has a pension any more, in the US. So I'm not getting out the violins -- if they are so poor, they can move back, if they want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO