Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Doing too much? Guidance and opinions welcome. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/doing-too-much-guidance-and-opinions-welcome-1464253/)

damics83 Aug 10th, 2017 06:34 PM

Doing too much? Guidance and opinions welcome.

In need of some travel guidance/opinions. Loose plan, we're headed to Frankfurt (land on a Friday morning) and planning to spend two days and one night in Bavaria driving around, then to Munich for Oktoberfest for 3 nights (Saturday evening arrival), then to Budapest for 2 nights (Tuesday evening arrival), then to Prague (Thursday evening arrival) and spend 2/3 nights there depending on how we get back to Frankfurt for an 11am flight back to the US on Sunday.

As of now we only have round trips from Philly to Frankfurt and nothing in between so if you have been we're taking all suggestions. Based on the above should we...

Cut out Budapest and spend more time in Munich and Prague?
Try and see them all with shorter stays?
Stop in Vienna for a Beer or 3?
Keep rental car and drive through countries (unlikely) or Train from Munich on? Should we fly any of legs or stick with train, cause it's Europe!
Wear lederhosen in Munich?
Leave Prague on Saturday and spend night in Frankfurt to not worry about missing flight?

The old move faster & see less of more or slow down and see more of less. Essentially do we try and make Budapest work, is it worth it for 2 nights and 2 days or hang for an extra night in Munich and Prague?

Thanks for the knowledge.

Andrew Aug 10th, 2017 06:43 PM

You don't have two days in Budapest - you have one day because you arrive late Tuesday and leave early Thursday, probably. So no, I would say it's not worth all of the long drive and hassle to get to Budapest just for such a short time. It's a big city, easy to see a few highlights quickly but hard to see it all in a whirlwind.

greg Aug 10th, 2017 06:55 PM

If Budapest is a destination while Frankfurt seems to be a far away airport, why are you flying into/out of non-destination on this short 9-night trip?

It appears drinking is the major objective of this trip. Look at http://www.rupissed.com/blood_alcohol_limits.html. Do you see the numbers next to Hungary and Czech Republic?

The number for Germany is 0.05, BUT there is a big caveat to go with it. Read "drinking and driving" in Germany, http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/regeln.shtml#dui

Accommodation in Munich during the Oktoberfest is both hard to come by and expensive. Find an acceptable accommodation before including Munich into your itinerary.

kja Aug 10th, 2017 09:50 PM

IMO, yes, too much -- but what matters is what YOU want to see and experience.

Here's what I recommend: Get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library) and plot your wish list on a calendar. Each time you propose to change locations, pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/ oriented, etc.). NOTE: Each change of location can be "costly" as it is time that you will not have to see or do anything.

Personally, I want to keep my ratio of time in transit to my time on the ground, actually seeing and doing things, to a minimum. YMMV.

Rather than skimming the surface and spending time getting from place to place, I choose to skip some places entirely, even if I am sure I would enjoy them. In fact, if I can return to a region, the LAST thing that I am likely to want to do is spend my time re-tracing all that extra travel time so that I can go back and finally see the things I skipped the first time: I might end up not returning specifically because it would mean wasting so much time going from place to place! Again, JMO.

Good luck!

kja Aug 10th, 2017 10:40 PM

@ greg: Good catch! And good advice (as usual).

PalenQ Aug 11th, 2017 05:29 AM

After Munich take trains as you are going rather quickly between large cities where cars are useless - for lots on trains and discounted tickets you can book on your own check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

damics83 Aug 11th, 2017 05:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all. We are flying in to Frankfurt b/c it we are going to stop in a small town east of Stuttgart to see the place my wife's Grandfather grew up and see some quintessential Bavarian places, figured it would be cool to rent a car for a few days. It isn't a drinking trip we just happen to be going to the biggest beer festival in the world b/c its something I have wanted to do, I have no intention of drinking and driving in a foreign country.
It sounds like Budapest is doing too much and I appreciate that feedback, we will save it for another trip.
Any other Munich or Prague "must do's" would be welcome.
Thanks again!

Dukey1 Aug 11th, 2017 05:42 AM

IMO the first "must do" is get a hotel in Munich. It would be "cool" to rent a car? I am going to pass on that one.

PalenQ Aug 11th, 2017 11:21 AM

It isn't a drinking trip we just happen to be going to the biggest beer festival in the world b/c its something I have wanted to do, I have no intention of drinking and driving in a foreign country.>

If you have always wanted to drive thru Europe go fot it - lets you set your own timetable and no carrying luggage thru crowded train stations and to hotel.

Check to make sure hotels have convenient free parking in large cities.