Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Doing my head in ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/doing-my-head-in-705174/)

albionsj May 14th, 2007 09:36 PM

Doing my head in ...

Hi

My daughter (20 yrs old) and I are spending 5 nights in Switzerland next month. I'm having major challenges finalising the itinerary. The latest cut has us travelling from Frankfurt to Geneva. Geneva - 2 nights, Interlaken - 1 night, Zermatt - 1 night, St Moritz - 1 night. Potentially trying to do too much given we're only there for 5 nights. Questions: (1) Should we limit our trip to Interlaken or Zermatt rather than both? (2) The intention is to catch the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz. However, we need to travel from Switzerland to Venice, and this doesn't work well from St Moritz. Suggestions? (3) What are the must see places/sites?

Cheers
SAL

nukesafe May 14th, 2007 09:49 PM

Never heard that expression before: "Doing my head in". That's the only reason I opened the post. What on earth does it mean; particularly in the context of traveling in Switzernand?

Sorry I can't help with your question but, respectfully, you will get more answers to your query with a title that makes sense.

:-(

janisj May 14th, 2007 09:52 PM

ditto nukesafe . . . .

kleeblatt May 14th, 2007 09:56 PM

Not a good itinerary. Too much travelling and not enough sight-seeing.

2 nights Wengen/Grindelwald or somewhere in the area.

2 nights Zermatt

1 night Geneva or somewhere on the lake.

Use sbb.ch for train time tables.

You are very late in the game. Good luck finding hotels. I'd call the tourist office of each area and ask what's available.

The Euro is up and the Swiss Franc is down. We'll probably be getting more tourists this year than usual.

Go to grocery stores (Migros, Coop) to make lunches while you are on the train.

kleeblatt May 14th, 2007 09:57 PM

As for your title, the above posters are correct. I thought you were looking for a European hairdresser.

For your next title you could write:

Doing my head in Switzerland

or

Kopflos in Switzerland

thereyet May 14th, 2007 10:07 PM

Schuler, I loved Grindelwald when I visited as a cchild for a month, which was not enough time!

thereyet

Mucky May 14th, 2007 10:18 PM

Sorry can't help with the post either, but 'Doing my head in' is used very frequently by some people here in South Wales, it kind of means that something your trying to do or someone is really stressing you out.

Not sure where it comes from but it may be a valleys colloquialism. I have not heard it from anywhere else. Although that doesn't mean its exclusive to Wales.

Albionsj is there any Welsh influence around ??

Muck

kleeblatt May 14th, 2007 10:28 PM

thereyet,
do you have Swiss roots?

thereyet May 14th, 2007 10:46 PM

yep. My Grandmamere was Swiss German I think and we did visit some lovely distant relatives after she passed away. My father wanted us to see her roots. I LOVED it! I have wanted to return to Europe ever since and I will take my wife and son to London and Spain this summer.

thereyet

nona1 May 14th, 2007 11:57 PM

It's a common expression throughout the UK, not just Wales.

'doing my head in' - confusing me/stressing me out.

so to make it geographical here, it would be 'Switzerland is doing my head in...'

sheila May 15th, 2007 12:34 AM

The expression is very common in the UK.
Ubiiquitous, even.

Bokhara May 15th, 2007 12:41 AM

Hello Muck!
"Doing my head in" is common here in Australia too. It means the same here - stressing out over something, confusing, confounding, frustrating.

swandav2000 May 15th, 2007 03:06 AM

Hi albionsj,

I just wanted to chime in to agree with schuler. Really try to slow down, please!

Because you have so little time in Switzerland, you really should spend it with your feet actually on the mountains and breathing the incredible fresh air and seeing the 360-degree mountain views. Wasting your time on a train while the scenery is reduced to a window frame (like a tv set!) is a real shame. If you had a few weeks there, or if you had to be in both St. Moritz & Zermatt, then it would be a different story. But if you want to see Switzerland to experience its scenic beauty, please spend some time actually outside!!

Good luck!

s

suze May 15th, 2007 06:34 AM

I would skip Geneva (it's boring imo), or at least stay nearby out on Lac Leman somewhere like Montreux or Vevey instead. You can overnight train from Lausanne or Vevey to Venice, I've done that several times.

albionsj May 15th, 2007 06:05 PM

Thanks for the very sound advice provided. The itinerary is about to change!

Appropriate (and meaningful!) subject headings will be used in the future.

albionsj May 15th, 2007 06:10 PM

Sorry Mucky. I didn't respond to your question. There's no Welsh influence here. I'm from Australia.

Mucky May 15th, 2007 10:22 PM

Thanks albionsj,

It's all falling into place now. Except, we now know everyone everywhere says this but from where does it originate??

Any clues so far?

Muck