Notices

Dogwoods in Paris???

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:16 PM
carmen

Dogwoods in Paris???

The song "April in Paris" extols chestnuts in blossom, but what about dogwoods? Are they common in Paris? If so, when do they bloom? Which parks or gardens would be a good place to see them? I know this question is a bit obscure, but I've only visited Paris in the summer when it sizzles and don't have first-hand info to share with my friend--whose Paris fantasy includes dogwoods blooming.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Robdaddy

I think Paris is way too far north for dogwoods. At least, I've never seen any in England, northern France/Paris, Belgium, Luxembourg...of course, that doesn't mean there aren't any.
The mother of a friend of mine visited us here in Virginia some years ago and was quite taken with our dogwoods and azaleas. She was determined to try to have some in her garden in southern England (Dorset area), but sadly, she died less than two years after her visit, and I never learned whether she had any success.

By the way, I'm curious: what on earth ever made your friend associate Paris with flowering dogwood trees?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Judy

In May and early June,you could find many flowering dogwoods in "Jardin des Plantes" on Rue Cuvier, Paris.

I have seen many beautiful Azaleas from the Royal Botanic Garden in Ediburgh down to Garden Trengwainton near Land's End in Cornwall.The hundred years old Rhododendrons(same family) are even more magnificient. There are many Azaleas in Keukenhof Garden in the Netherlands.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Sue

I don't know if there are dogwoods in Paris, but we have 'em here in Pgh., and Paris weather is more temperate than ours in Western PA.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
xxxxx

Paris may have them, but they are American.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:08 AM
carmen

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am usually pretty observant, horticulturally speaking, but never thought to look for dogwoods. Fyi, Robdaddy, I think she just really likes dogwoods and assumed they would be part of Paris in the spring as they are here in Oregon. I'll give her the tip about the Jardin des Plantes, but it sounds like they're not a common sight. I'm sure she'll love Paris with or without them