dogs on paris metro

Search

dogs on paris metro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dogs on paris metro

are dogs allowed on the metro in paris? this is not a seeing eye dog.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Oui. You betcha. Dogs are allowed everywhere in Paris (or so it seems).
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I can't remember seeing any but there were quite a few on the TGV train. The strangest places to me were restaurants (inside) and banks!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Actually, it's a little complicated. Dogs are not supposed to be on the metro unless they are an assistance dog or in a carrier. However, I have seen this rule flouted regularly, although not so much during peak hours.
We have taken our English cocker on the metro in the 16th, but otherwise kept her off. She's a bit too chunky for a carrier and cannot play a convincing role as an assistance dog of any kind, unless it's assisting you to finish up that snack.
FWIW, dogs can ride any form of mass transit in Belgium. We took our dog everywhere with us on trams, buses, the metro and trains (and into banks and restaurants!). Dogs can ride the French railways (no carrier needed), but if they weigh more than 9 kilos, they need a half price ticket.
Dogs can ride the u-bahn in Vienna, but are supposed to be wearing a muzzle.
Our cocker has ridden all forms of mass transit in Belgium, the French TGV, German ICE and regional trains and s-bahns, and trains in Austria.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM

What a well-traveled dog, BTilke!

Most if not all of the dogs we've seen on the Metro were in someone's large purse or tote bag (and extremely well-behaved, I might add). We now call all those sorts of little dogs "Metro dogs." I'd love to have one, but Romeo and Lulu say a resounding feline NON.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Please do not bring your dog on the metro. It's very crowded and people suffer already enough without having to endure a barking dog. And of course they are not allowed.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM

But Matt, they ARE allowed if in a carrier or are an assistance dog. And very few dogs bark on mass transit.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I saw lots of large dogs (not in carriers) riding the Paris Metro in June and they were obviously not assistance dogs!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM

They do have some official requirement regarding size, if they aren't a seeing-eye dog, but they are supposed to be in small carriers. A real small dog. I'm sure they don't have officials at every door to regulate that, but I myself have never seen a regular dog in the metro, not in a small carrier basket.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Dogs are prohibited on the Métro unless they can fit into a carrying case (which you must use). The only exception is guide dogs for the blind, which are permitted to accompany their masters without this restriction.

The regulation is often ignored, however, and enforcement is light or nonexistent.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM

The dogs I've seen on the metro were better behaved than many humans on the metro. They never tried to push and shove their way in, and they never tried to pick my pockets.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Sorry, but dogs are forbidden for a good reason. Yes, a lot of people ignore regulations. A lot of people smoke in the metro stations too. Of course assistance dogs must be, and are, an exception, and so are small dogs in a carrier
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM
rfb

In general dogs are not allowed on the Metro, however, small dogs in carryons not exceeding 45cm are allowed as are guide dogs. Dogs are allowed on the RER as long as they are on leash and musseled.

If you read French for more information go to

http://www.ratp.info/informer/animaux.php

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM

One of my most pleasant experiences in Venice was riding a vaporatto alongside a grandfatherly gentleman and his happy mutt.He was well-behaved,but clearly so excited by all of the stimuli-people,water,boats,oh boy! He could hardly contain himself when they got to their spot,jumping on and off the seat,wagging like crazy- lucky little Venetian!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Billygoat

Dogs are compulsory of escalators on the London Underground.

They have notices "Dogs Must be Carried"