Doge's Secret Itinerary tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a general tour of the Doge's Palace included in my travel package. The secret itineraries tour is not part of this however. The question is, is it possible to pay for JUST the "secret" tour? Or is it not that expensive anyway, and I shouldn't worry about it?
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM

The Secret Itinerary Tour shows part of the palace that are only available on that tour. After the guided portion of the tour, you are able to wander the rest of the palace on your own (we used the audio guides for the rest). The tour is great, and not at all expensive (I don't recall the price, but it wasn't even $20...I'm thinking more like $10-12).

Anne
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
ira

Hi as,

You can reserve Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace. Phone number is 011 39 041 520 9070.

It includes visiting the rest of the palace.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info, but the question remains: since I am already booked on a palace tour, is there a way I can pay for JUST the secret itineraries part?
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
ira

Hi as,

See if your tour company can get you reduced price tickets for the Tour.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM

When we paid for the Secret Itinerary Tour on our own, the rest of Doge's Palace was included at no charge.

We took the tour and then were left to wander on our own afterward.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM

I should correct myself and say "left to wander the REST of the palace on our own afterward." We were only allowed in the Secret Itinerary areas during the tour.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM

The question is: "Can I get credit for the entry fee for Doge's Palace when I pay for Secret Itinerary tour?"

If you have the flexibility to fit the Secret Itinerary tour into your schedule, ie not on a group tour, I would suggest that you book the SI tour. You must reserve ahead. You pay when you arrive. Once there, I would show them you prepaid voucher for the Doge's Palace and ask how much more to cover the Secret Itinerary tour.

As others have stated, once you complete the SI tour, your entry fee covers the touring of the rest of the Palace at your leisure. At worst, you will end up paying twice for the Palace itself.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:26 AM

I have booked & paid for the SI tour but didn't realise that the price covered the rest of the palace, which we'd planned to do first. Ira, will I be able to pick up the tickets a couple of hours in advance, as opposed to the 10 minutes advised in the confirmation ?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi CE,

>..will I be able to pick up the tickets a couple of hours in advance, as opposed to the 10 minutes advised in the confirmation ? <

I think so, as long as you are at the departure point for your tour on time.

When we went there, we got our tickets for the tour and went to where we were directed.

20 min after the start time, I asked when the tour would start and was told there was no tour at that time.

I showed them my ticket, with the start time on it. Everyone thought that that was funny.

We did get on the next tour.

I also recall that the same thing happened to us at Cardiff Castle.

Maybe it's me.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Thanks Ira !
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Just to offer my thoughts, I'm starting to think that the Secret Itinerary is being over-touted (including myself in the past). I've done the SI twice (two different travel companions) and while it was interesting, it was not the highlight of my trips to Venice, and imo doesn't match the treasures and sumptuousness of the regular tour of the Doge's Palace. The Doge's Palace has ornate and intricate decoration, masterpieces of art and architecture, a very interesting history, and lots to see and learn about regarding Venice's past. The SI is an interesting auxiliary experience, it includes a few extra (mostly unfurnished) rooms and has the Casanova connection and the prison cells if that appeals, but I don't think anyone should feel that if they don't do the SI they've missed out on something critical.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I would agree with Elaine that the Secret Itineraries tour should probably not be a priority for a first-or even a second-time visitor to Venice.

In my opinion, the time to do the Secret Itineraries tour is after you have seen the wealth of art in the museums and churches and, of course, the Doge's Palace.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Another thing to remember about the tour is that there is a lot of climbing involved and it is very hot. I went on the 9 AM tour and I became a little light-headed with the heat and the climb (and it could have been some of the wine the night before.) I can't even imagine how hot the tours become later in the day. I agree with the last two posts: it was an interesting tour, but I wouldn't call it a "must see."