Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does your significant other like to travel as much as you do? And if not, what do you do?

Search

Does your significant other like to travel as much as you do? And if not, what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious how common this is and what people do about it. I am definitely way more obsessed with travel than my DH. I remember seeing someone mention in a post a while back that every time they thought about replacing their awful couch they would look at it and think "airfare for four"....I am definitely right there with them. DH does like to travel, but he definitely likes to spend money on other things (car, apartment/house, dinners out, etc.) first. Luckily when I do convince him to travel we are pretty compatible, like to go similar places, do similar things, etc. so I guess I shouldn't complain
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Mine traveled farther and longer than I did, so I have some catching up to do. Thank Goodness, he is ready for a trip at the drop of a hat..or something
He went to much more exotic places also, I have been concentrating on Paris and the big cities ~
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:37 AM

I go without him.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Not quite as much, but he enjoys it as long as he doesn't have to do much of the planning. When the travel involves Provence, however, he gets almost excited about it.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM

He likes to travel but he doesn't show his excitement as I do. Even after we arrive. It sort of "grounds" me, but it would be nice every once in a while to have some one get as excited about going some place new as I do.

Other than that, we are very compatible on where to go, what to do, etc, so I'm happy.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Yes - although not always to the same places. But its easy enough to compromise on that - either alternate trips - or trips with multiple detsinations. Our problem is both of us getting away from work long enough to do a real trip.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:44 AM

nytraveler, that was a constant complaint of mine, he would not want to leave for too long because of clients.
I hate it when work gets in the way of travel fun, don't you?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Scarlett, dropping a little red dress has motivated many a man to change his mind about taking a trip.

Oh, no. that sounded bad. In general, I was talking about men and women in general.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I agree, Scarlett-- Darn that work for getting in the way of our travel plans!!

I'm so lucky-- my DH loves to travel as much as I do. It's harder for him to take as much vacation as I'm able to take from my job, though, so I am taking a couple of trips with friends and family without him.

I think we got started going to Europe because that's how far we had to go to keep him from being on the phone constantly checking on his business.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:50 AM
dln

The problem in our house is not the husband but the kids. We have two teenagers still in high school. Kind of hard to get away when there are obligations to them! I can't wait until they are off to college and we can go back to taking fall trips whenever we please, as we did when they were toddlers. Europe in the fall is glorious.

I will say, though, that I'm lucky enough to have a husband and kids who doesn't mind if I go places without them. Marcy and I are going on a ladies' only trip to Paris next month. Marcy's husband is going to do much better than mine for the week, however, because he's an excellent cook. Mine...let's think a week of Lean Cuisine!

One thing, Audreyleigh. We like nice things too, so it's always a pull to have to choose between the material things we want and the travel. I sympathise with you on that! I want it ALL.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:01 PM

I don't leave home without my designated driver and girlfriend. No fun without her.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:05 PM

I think had my wife and I differed materially on our view of travel, she'd be referring to me as "the one who got away."
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Good question audrey. My husband would be content to spend his whole life at home but I just book the trip and tell him he's going later. He used to give me a hard time but now he just says fine, let me know what we're doing and what to pack. I'm the same way about expenses at home. My couch is 13yrs. old and falling apart but I'll sit on the floor first before I spend my travel $ for another one. Could use a new mattress, car, dishwasher etc....
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM

We both like to travel, but we don't always have the same interests. He also cannot fly economy because of his health, so I usually go alone, or with friends,or family. He takes more trips within the states, and I travel more abroad. Neither of us mind going without the other but we also try to take a few trips a year together.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

LOL degas and ryan. Hmmmm....perhaps I will have to invest in a little red dress . I do take trips without DH, as I've posted on this board (and received lots of help on planning, thank you all) I'm going to Paris with my sister in April. Our disagreements over what to spend $$ on are often quite funny and definitely reflect the very different ways we were raised (my family would take months at a time and do super-low budget slow-trav type trips; his parents spent more $$ on material stuff) and I suspected we were not alone in this, thanks for all the replies!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:38 PM

I wish mine would want to travel more. We have been to Mexico, the Caribbean, Canada and various parts of the US. He is rather tight and always claims that we don't have enough money. We have been to Europe before and will go to England next spring. A major concern for him has been the weak dollar lately. It has put a strain on things.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM

GO BY MYSELF! Everyone deserves some private time.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM

I'm very fortunate that my wife and I always enjoy the same places and doing the same things. Travel is a mutual passion, a point we didn't learn until our honeymoon because neither of us had traveled much. Our favorite place is the next one we're going to and have never visited.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM

I agree with both Bob Brown and Mike Buckley.

My husband and I both love to travel, but what I like best about it is being with him.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Yeah. I brag about my travel companion. She is good to have along on any trip. If I were a pioneer going across to Oregon, I would want her in the wagon.

I am planning a trip right now. I presented her with a draft of the itinerary. She looked at it, and said go. Of course, it did not take much persuading to get her to Switzerland and to Wales. She loved Wales last summer and was ready to go again.
And she likes visiting London, although both of us are happy to get home.

But she is at her best driving over mountain passes. Since she got a little experience with them and learned how to handle them, they don't bother her anymore.

She also likes operas. So do I. We have gone to some good ones, but nothing beats Carmen at the Met with Irina Mishura and Fabio Armiliato (as Don Jose) unless it is Turandot at the Opera Bastille with Franco Farina in good voice, Patricia Racette, and Jane Eaglen. Ms. Eaglen is not much of an actress, but she can unload on a singing role.

As something that has nothing to do with the question, Mzia Nioradze of Georgia (not the one with Atlanta) is an intensely dramatic singer in mezzo roles -- like Azucena and Amneris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -