Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Does X-ray Machine at Airport damage film? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/does-x-ray-machine-at-airport-damage-film-43854/)

peggy May 8th, 1999 08:21 AM

Does X-ray Machine at Airport damage film?

We are leaving for London tomorrow and I am concerned that the x-ray machine at the airport will damage our film for camera and tape for camcorder. Does anyone know if this might happen. Will security at airport let you carry it thru if you have in plastic bag? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your help.

George Holt May 17th, 1999 07:08 AM

There was a brief discussion on this recently. Do a search with 'ray' as the subject and it will turn up, among others, a thread dated 04/27.

CS May 17th, 1999 07:55 AM

Peggy: Just to add a recent and personal note.... Do not carry film or camcorder tapes in your checked luggage. The machines used to x-ray those are powerful and can damamge film. The carry-on luggage x-ray machines at Gatwick and Heathrow will not damage your film. A good thing, as they refuse to hand check your film regardless of how you package it and will not allow you to catch your flight unless you submit. I'm sure of this since I just picked up my 22 rolls of film from our 30 day trip and they are perfectly fine. They were all nuked several times during that month and I really feared damage. Now if I can just find an photo album that holds 792 photos.....:) CS

John May 17th, 1999 08:14 AM

I would add that although the incidence of damage due to the x-ray machine is low, it does happen from time-to-time. I think it has to do with how they have the machines set-up that particular day. Airport security often allows you carry the film through, although there is no gurantee they will always do so. I believe their instructions are to x-ray everything, especially when security is heightened. Why take the risk? Why rely on maybes? Buy a lead pouch for your film and put your mind at ease. They are not that expensive and your pictures and memories are certainly worth the extra expense.

Howard May 17th, 1999 10:54 AM

For the definitive answer, I suggest you log into: www.f-stop.com <BR>It's a website created by some to photographers and it includes some solid information and tips on this subject.

dan May 17th, 1999 11:35 AM

There was an article on this in the June issue of Popular Photography. The major film manufacturers were invited by the FAA to test the new machines. Currently, there are over 50 machines in the world (nobody knows exactly where) of a type that will definitely damage film. There is an even stronger one in the works. The magazine showed examples of film after various number of passes through x-ray. You will probably be ok with carry-on x-ray machines, but ask for handcheck if you can get it. Lead-lined bags work ok for checked baggage, but it can require so many layers of lead protection that you may be asked to open your luggage for inspection.