Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does this itinerary sound ok for Turin + Milan?

Aug 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hey, I'm looking to put together a trip to Turin and Milan either last week in September or first week in October. For time's sake, I think early October might prevail for the trip. Here's a tentative itinerary - it can be tweaked.

Day 1 Flight Philadelphia to Turin
Day 2 Arrival, check in hotel and relax for a while Afternoon stroll and find a bite to eat.
Day 3 Half day bus tour to Barolo region for wine-tasting.
Day 4 Morning train to Milan. Afternoon walking tour - includes Last Supper admission.
Day 5 Free day in Milan - Like to visit Duomo, Castello Sforzesco, not sure what else...
Day 6 Full day bus tour to Tirano and Bernina Express excursion to St. Moritz and back.
Day 7 Free day. Possibly visit Pinacoteca Di Brera, and a designer outlet in afternoon.
Day 8 Free day. Not sure yet how to fill this day. Picnic lunch - any location suggestions? Someplace with benches is good, I can't sit on the ground too easily. *Final evening dinner - someplace to enjoy a good meal and glass of wine. I can splurge a little bit, but not super expensive. Suggestions please?
Day 9 Flight home to Philadelphia.

*I'm a little confused about which part of Milan is best to stay in, where I can find a budget hotel - about $ US 140 a night approx. Thanks for any input. Greg
Aug 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM

I would want more time in Torino. Torino itself is great for strolling, shopping, eating, and museums.
Aug 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Jump on the train from Milan to Como and explore the lake for a day
Aug 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations on which part of Milan is good to stay in? So far, I'm looking at the Hotel Ca' Grande, located at Via Porpora, 87 and near to the Corso Buenos Aires and the Citta Studi. http://www.hotelcagrande.it/en/index.htm. Greg
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM

No, Greg, sorry: doesn't sound ok at all. Torino is one of Italy's greatest cities - full of world-class baroque architecture and classy flair. It would be a shame not to spend minimum two full days there; so make that three, since you'll be jet-lagged on your arrival day. Designer outlets and picnics are everywhere in the world - Guarino Guarini's architecture, only in Torino! (And in Messina; everything he built elsewhere has unfortunately been destroyed meanwhile.)