Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does this even make sense? 21 Euro Ryanair flights Berlin-->Frankfurt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After getting thoroughly frustrated trying to figure out how to book train reservations from Berlin to the Mosel Valley area, I check flights into Frankfurt-Hahn instead. I came up with Ryanair flights that were only 3 -5 Euros each! The prices increased to about 21 Euros each when we added a bag apiece. Can this be accurate? A train would have cost us 149 Euro total, whereas flying is a total of 63 Euro and much less time. What am I missinig here?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM

It's sort of about time and money.

Ryanir gets you with the low airfare, but then there are the taxes and bag fees and preferential boarding fees (which we opt for because we like to sit next to each other, etc. We booked 5 days in Venice in May for 10 euros, but with the fees it came to under 103 euros for both of us...still a deal in my book. Sister, husband and niece did the same thing for Malagà and a couple of years ago we did Bordeaux to London.

If you can be flexible in your dates and can plan ahead there are great airfares to be found, but the same is also true for trains. Voyages-SNCF will have Prem's for 25 euros, but you really have to catch these when they "open" your dates.

The less flexibility/planning you have, the more it costs...so I guess it's kind of the the late bird paying for the early bird's worm, so to speak.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Welcome to the world of no frills European airfares!

Things to consider:
- Ryanair operates out of smaller airports, make sure the airports are actually close to the destinations they claim to be
- be very conscious of baggae weights - they will weigh everything and charge you horrendous additional cahrges if you are over
- be careful of extra charges, they will charge for everything from using your credit card, snacks on the plane, the right to board the plane first etc.

They are a popular carrier and have very cheap flights if you are comfortable with their restrictions etc.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM

I am travelling from Stansted to Trieste in 2 weeks and the cost is £16 return. The £3 is promotional with free tax and free online check in. £3 each way plus £10 paying by credit card.

No catch but if you want to put a case in the hold that will cost you a whopping £30 so pack light and go carry on.

Make sure you book by midnight tonight if you want that £3 flight.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM

What do they mean by Frankfurt is the question - the airport that is abougt 60 miles from Frankfurt?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM

The other advantage is that Frankfurt-Hahn is not really that close to Frankfurt and will actually put you closer to the Mosel area.

Also, family and friends have used the hotel that is just across the street from the airport (sorry, can't remember the name-but it's the closest one if you google) and found it to be clean, accomodating and affordable (nothing fancy), in case you need a hotel the night before your return trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM

As others have said, pay attention to the "rules" on Ryanair or your cheap ticket will turn out to be not so cheap. They are very intent on enforcing baggage charges. It's the only airline that I have ever flown on that does not even have seat pockets and has adverts on the overhead baggage bins.

I fly them, but only if I can't find something on Easyjet , or another low cost carrier.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I use that airport when i go to the mosel and rhein it is a few kms from the mosel. great location. that 3 euro fare ends today I think, so move fast.

There are tons of b+b's around there if you need a place the first night. They will even pick you up and take you back to the airport if you have to get your car the next day.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Be warned Ryanair cancle flight for very strange reasons and from friends/family experiences we are sure this is due to the fact that the flights are unprofitable. They deny this (of course) but they cost my parents 700 euros when they were stranded in Granada due to a Ryanair non event. Ryanair blamed a baggage handler strike but we could find no evidence of the strike anywhere (including Granada airport).

I personally would never use them if you need to be somewhere without fail. Their stats for reliability are good but the management for very, very ruthless and I would not be suprised if the figures were manipulated.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM

traveltrio..
I told you in your other thread that Ryanair currently has promotional fares from Berlin to Hahn airport which will result in a total airfare of 20something Euros incl 1 bag. So what is the big surprise?
To avoid unpleasant surprises be sure that you understand Ryanair's requirements re. max weight and measurements, and keep your luggage within the limits.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I booked it. For nine euros, I can take a chance. Compared to the train, it was a no brainer. Thanks all!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Wow, I just saw tickets from Barcelona to Milan for 9 euros each, so for $80 I can fly us to Genova.

I still can't find how much is the train ticket from Milan to Rapallo, depending on that we may fly instead of taking the ferry that is $300 for the 3 of us and takes 18 hrs.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Crazy, isn't it? Book fast, because I think someone said that the Ryanair fare sale ends at midnight.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Milan to Rapallo<<< Cheapest - 10.60€. Most expensive 31.50€. Prices on Trenitalia.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:45 PM

ryanair sale has been extended to wednesday night. Be sure to check carry on and checked luggage dimensions AND weight. They don't mess around being sweet over an extra kilo or 500 grams .. believe me! and all your carry-on must include personal items that are stored within that one carry-on.